Facebook Apps are Leading to 'Privacy Breach'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Let me just say this:

"If you do stuff on the internet someone is going to see it. Period!"

What kind of privacy do people expect when they share their data with random companies just to grow some virtual korn or letuce, or to play some other stupid games at the request of their friends.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Toms has more ads than articles at the moment. Has anyone else noticed its always the same sort of ad? always the fashion clothes.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So, if I don't have Farmville, or indeed any other applications that run via Facebook, i'm OK ya?[/citation]
Unfortunately not. Actually my PC tries to connect to the facebook network randomly even though I don't have a facebook account. Think it's related to the Flash Player.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dipankar2007ind[/nom]Facebook got more security holes than a cheese slice,[/citation]

Cheese doesn't have 'security holes', they have physical holes as a result of their production process. A better way would have been to phrase your sentence like this:
"Facebook security has more holes than a cheese slice."

While i'm sure you could be more specific than this, the majority of individuals will understand the metaphor.

By the way, i go on facebook to connect with my friends, i put nothing on there that i wouldn't share by mouth or other means and its free.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
There should be a THG article about a security problem that allows ad-posters to place their ads on a message board.

See above... and below the article.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I don't mean to degrade us, but I doubt Tom's Hardware regulars are really the correct target consumers for fashion knock-offs. These spammers would have much more luck toting:
"Graphics Card (XFX, HIS, 5870) $200
MoBo (ASUS, ASrock, Gigabyte, AM3+) $100"....etc.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I don't mean to degrade us, but I doubt Tom's Hardware regulars are really the correct target consumers for fashion knock-offs. These spammers would have much more luck toting:"Graphics Card (XFX, HIS, 5870) $200MoBo (ASUS, ASrock, Gigabyte, AM3+) $100"....etc.[/citation]
shhhhhhh don't give them ideas!

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
I've been hijacked more than once, even after changing my password. Got sick of friends telling me they keep receiving offers for blu-ray players or what ever. So now my account is deactivated.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
One of our close friends - whose wife runs a whole host of Internet businesses across a small home network of 9 PC's - got their entire system hacked and most of their passwords and accesses changed (and even they aren't sure how much money they lost, yet) all due to one of their kids uploading an infected Facebook app.

The first clue we all got was an infected email that went out from his email account at yahoo telling people he was on a business trip overseas (which was not beyond the realm of impossible as they travel a lot) where he claimed he got his baggage robbed at his hotel and needed a loan to pay for his plane ticket back via Western Union.

I called his wife to check the story and he answered, tried to check his email and couldn't get into it - along with most everything else. He's an IT guy and he backtracked the timing of the virus arrival to when his kid was playing on Facebook sending and receiving a whole bunch of stupid app gifts with friends.

Facebook can be useful for talking to friends or general communication but under no circumstances should anyone allow anything app-like to touch their PCs.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I don't mean to degrade us, but I doubt Tom's Hardware regulars are really the correct target consumers for fashion knock-offs. These spammers would have much more luck toting:"Graphics Card (XFX, HIS, 5870) $200MoBo (ASUS, ASrock, Gigabyte, AM3+) $100"....etc.[/citation]
Have you read the bad english in those? Especially on the site? Look at some bits of information and it is Chinese...yes Chinese I said. Anybody who complies with a spammer is a complete fn moron regardless!!!!!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]One of our close friends - whose wife runs a whole host of Internet businesses across a small home network of 9 PC's - got their entire system hacked and most of their passwords and accesses changed (and even they aren't sure how much money they lost, yet) all due to one of their kids uploading an infected Facebook app.The first clue we all got was an infected email that went out from his email account at yahoo telling people he was on a business trip overseas (which was not beyond the realm of impossible as they travel a lot) where he claimed he got his baggage robbed at his hotel and needed a loan to pay for his plane ticket back via Western Union.I called his wife to check the story and he answered, tried to check his email and couldn't get into it - along with most everything else. He's an IT guy and he backtracked the timing of the virus arrival to when his kid was playing on Facebook sending and receiving a whole bunch of stupid app gifts with friends.Facebook can be useful for talking to friends or general communication but under no circumstances should anyone allow anything app-like to touch their PCs.[/citation]
There is also the zero-day exploit in Flash that is used in the roaming "YouTube" message... masqueraded in the video that you don't even have to do anything and it will download and install the malware for you just by loading the page...compromising your system. Some people need to be smart and vigilant about some things...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
One good thing to do in situations like these is run a program like Fiddler where you can view the data being sent/received from the browser...you'd be surprised what some companies are getting, especially advertising companies. ~wink~

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i have a facebook.. i like my facebook... i also don't have any apps or plug ins installed and have privacy settings in place so nobody can send my such useless things. i use facebook for what it was itended to keep up with friends, i usually use it as a mmethod of inviting said friends to things via messages, or sometimes get invited to things/ even message back and forth instead of email with friends who live out of town... its a great service for things liek that but anybody who clicks allow on those apps when you look into em is either uninformed or a fool

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
This just in..."free" things have strings attached...Wall Street Journal posts alarmist story about something "the kids are into these days"...stay tuned for further updates from TEN- your source for Totally Expected News...

G

Ikeep getting my password lost or hacked on FaceBook and have hard time getting back on to
play farmville which i like but keep getting hacked out. any help

Status
Not open for further replies.