Facebook During Worktime Could Result in Criminal Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
O give me a break.. Using FB is a far cry from hacking, leaking info, and anything of that nature. At best/worst it can show lazy workers, but that's far from a criminal offense. But what about the people that do their jobs and simply get done ahead of schedule and have a little bit of downtime?

Sure facebook maybe used to leak info, but so could a simple email and anything of that nature. And if being lazy is a crime all politicians should be thrown in jail.

Hating to hate is the cool thing to do these days right. BAHHH BAHHH BAHHH.

G

Companies that don't want there employees to use websites like facebook should implement blocking on the firewall so that they can't go out to Facebook. The company itself should take some responsibility if they are not blocking access to those sites through their servers.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
really....... I didn't understand well the article if it's just for using it, or using it to trade company secrets, the latter one would be understandable, but if it's just for using it, that's ridiculous......

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
At one time in our formerly great nation, people understand that there was contract law/tort law and then there were criminal laws. And things worked GREAT. Today though the contract is enforced by the Government, not by the laws of capitalism. And the nations falls.

Oh well, I don't live there anymore. It is sad to see though. I'm glad that I don't pay taxes for any of that crap though.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]really....... I didn't understand well the article if it's just for using it, or using it to trade company secrets, the latter one would be understandable, but if it's just for using it, that's ridiculous......[/citation]

They are basically proceeding under a "theft of services" type analysis. No different in their mind from say a waiter stealing napkins at work.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
In my particular workplace, an fairly large automotive supplier, Facebook is blocked from use on any of the computers. From what I understand it's for security & the fact that it disrupts work because people use it way too much.
Sadly many people just use their phones to access it & still end up disrupting their work, despite company rules that forbid use of cell phones during work hours except while on your scheduled breaks.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]In my particular workplace, an fairly large automotive supplier, Facebook is blocked from use on any of the computers. From what I understand it's for security & the fact that it disrupts work because people use it way too much. Sadly many people just use their phones to access it & still end up disrupting their work, despite company rules that forbid use of cell phones during work hours except while on your scheduled breaks.[/citation]

Well the Government has the solution, prosecute them, build more prisons and hire more cops. We need special taskforce to deal with these people.

Use of FB at work is a form of terrorism!!!! Lets get the Department of Homeland Security on this.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
So, as an employer I should pay you £40, £50, £60 an hour to update your status on FB?

Sorry, no. Everyone in my organisation has signed an IT policy that agrees social networking access, other than out of hours and at lunchtime (when we open the firewall up automatically) is a disciplinary offense, no matter how it is achieved. You choose FB over working, I choose not to pay you.

whoobydo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I don't think targeting Facebook is the answer. Wasting time on Facebook should be against company policy, but a person could leak trade secrets just as easily via text message, multimedia message (pictures, video, or audio), google voice, email, etc. Legislation should apply to any sharing of trade secrets, no matter the method of communication.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Well the Government has the solution, prosecute them, build more prisons and hire more cops. We need special taskforce to deal with these people. Use of FB at work is a form of terrorism!!!! Lets get the Department of Homeland Security on this.[/citation]

Nonsense! Let's establish another unelected and unconfirmed czar to head the Bureau of Cyber Security, where he would be free to set "guidelines" for the nation's computer using habits.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I guess, I mean i could see Facebook could present a problem in the workplace as this individual is not paying to his/her job. But a federal offense.. Really??. Sides when one goes on their breaks what would be first thing that person will do?? Take out his smartphone and on Facebook.

People shouldn't be using Facebook during their shift anyways, that's the problem right there.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]At one time in our formerly great nation, people understand that there was contract law/tort law and then there were criminal laws. And things worked GREAT. Today though the contract is enforced by the Government, not by the laws of capitalism. And the nations falls.Oh well, I don't live there anymore. It is sad to see though. I'm glad that I don't pay taxes for any of that crap though.[/citation]
America was doomed from the beginning.... Democratic Republics always end up failing, it was just a matter of time.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand

"The job of bureaucrats is to regulate, and left to their own devices, they will try to regulate everything they can."
Steven den Beste

Status
Not open for further replies.