Facebook Employee: Site Tracks Your Every Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

... in other news, angry Facebook developer gets demoted to tour guide and divulges well known company secrets:)

kinless

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Mostly sensationalist fodder. Almost all companies want to track user habits on their website in order to see how it is being utilized. This is standard in the world of metrics. Just about every site you go to records your visitation path and that information is in turn analyzed and influences the direction of how that website could evolve in the future.

And honestly, I'm sure the FB message database is encrypted pretty well, just like any other high-profile company. And I would assume they have safeguards from letting unauthorized employees in there. (I would hope, anyway.)

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Should people be surprised by this? If you read this article and think "Woah, WTF!", you are among the people who contribute to the decline of Western Civilization.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
+1

I have facebook and what is on my facebook really doesn't bother me if someone else sees it...

Those who have nothing to hide don't care, those who care simply should't go on facebook...

I don't expect it to be any different on myspace or other.

squidrott

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]If you don't want people to see something online, don't put it on.[/citation]It amazes me how difficult of a concept this is for people.

As others have commented, this kind of stuff shouldn't come as a surprise.

Also, I wonder how many females they have working there that would have this kind of information. :p That kinda limits it down to who disclosed this not-so-shocking bit of news. lol

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
that seems like an obscenely large amount of data to collect and maintain, i understand tracking app visits and games played but i think tracking what profiles you visit would explode into a massive file very quickly, google only stores about 2% of the data that passes through them and thats still an obscenely large amount, with facebooks growth rate it cant be done.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey coolit, you are an utter fool. Facebook tracks and records EVERYTHING your computer does. Not just what you do on facebook. It copies all your cookies on your computer every time you log on to facebook.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hunter:

It doesn't create copies of every bit of data you access! Duh! It only creates a record of your queries, so to speak. Not a large amoount of data. If they got room for all your photos and videos, they sure as hell got room for a goddam mouse click, LOL!

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Hey coolit, you are an utter fool. Facebook tracks and records EVERYTHING your computer does. Not just what you do on facebook. It copies all your cookies on your computer every time you log on to facebook.[/citation]
Not according to this anonymous source- "Facebook tracks your every move on the website."
But I'm sure you know more than this person. And there's always your tinfoil hat will protect you no matter what.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
How else will they turn a profit? When the time comes, they will sell you data for the highest dollar.....

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Here's another interesting article on toms hardware:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Console-Emergency-Management-warnings-disasters,news-5193.html

I've read a couple other articles regarding facebook privacy from places other than toms. I might be able to find some links.

I got a little too emotional on my previous posts. But dangit! I get torqed off when people are naive about this stuff. It boils my blood to see an ostrich stick his head in the sand or a pacifist turn the other cheek. That actually upsets me more than the injustice does.

Status
Not open for further replies.