Facebook is Mass Surveillance, Says Free Software Founder

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, this is the Theory i have been supporting for years, Facebook is a P.O.S (even tho I have no choice but to use it occasionally, hypocritical eh?). It hurts me to see so many people's only prerogative is facebonk on the internet. Not me, FOREVER ALONE, /tear

ananthu123

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Its tool ate now that we're all addicted to facebook. Windows is the same, Linux may be a hundred times better, but I've never felt that ease or comfort with ubuntu or Fedora like i have with Windows- of course, it may just be a matter of taste.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I agree with his ideas, in general; however, he needs to put these in a more organized way, work a bit on his grammar, and do something about that look, 'cause...damn.
He must work on his credibility on every aspect, not only on his ideology. This is an audio-visual era we live in, for crying out loud.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
''So you visit several pages that have ‘like’ button and Facebook knows that you visited all of those,''

Nope, my NoScript doesnt allow it.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I have an account but visit the site maybe once every 2 months. I personally can't stand the site & only joined to keep in touch with a couple friends who I don't see hardly ever. So many people addicted to FB, it's disturbing to me. I prefer my life to be more private, so I stay away as much as I can. I have to tend to agree with this man's ideas though, even if he's related to Grizzly Adams. ;)

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
He does not look too good for sure, but he still lives on a very limited income, almost like a student.
With no money, you can't look like Donald Trump!

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
facebook is bad real bad.. it is the cause of many bad relationships.. and the ammount of malware (facebook games) on it is unreal... but my biggest gripe with facebook is how children use it and are encouraged to use it.. it might aswell be called havesexwithmy13yearolddaughter.com because how many young girls put sugestive self pics on there and have 10,000 friends with most of them probabily trying to groom them.. it is something i would not allow my children to use at all.. as facebook to me is just a free dating website..

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]What's scary about social media in general is that personal information about you, that normally would be difficult for others to obtain, is now freely given because "everyone else is doing it too". I don't think George Orwell would have predicted this.[/citation]
The real scary thing is that the general public don't seem to care about being under 24/7 surveillance, when i discuss these subjects with my friends and family they all see me as a nutter for raising the issue. That you are filmed everywhere you go isn't a problem when you don't do anything bad, they seem to think that cameras everywhere prevent crime, i don't think that. When in a few years a research project find out that cameras don't prevent crimes and suggest that everyone have a body monitor with gps tracker operated into your body( some people actually have them already ), then for sure all crimes will be solved and hence crime rates are reduced. People will think that this is a good thing, when subversive and dangerous people like myself are arrested for speaking our minds, thats a good thing, when you love the wrong person you get arrested( a man may do the real bad thing as to fall in love with another man ) this is a good thing( newsflash: most countries frown upon gay people ). With a gps tracker you can not be gay, have different political views or be friends with people the government find subversive ( like Muslims ), the world do have a bright future.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Can't blame Facebook, the same arguements have been given all the way back through Myspace, ICQ, etc etc etc, some people use Facebook the same way like a streaker running through Times Square. If they are stupid enough to put their whole life unedited up for public view then they deserve everything they get.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I agree with his ideas, in general; however, he needs to put these in a more organized way, work a bit on his grammar, and do something about that look, 'cause...damn.He must work on his credibility on every aspect, not only on his ideology. This is an audio-visual era we live in, for crying out loud.[/citation]
He more than likely suffers from some sort of autistic spectrum disorder. He simply doesn't care about his appearance, and probably doesn't much care what other people thinks of him. He speaks about his beliefs just as rigorously as any religious nut. Not saying he's wrong, here, as I happen to suffer from Asperger's myself, I'm a little sensitive to the views of people who think people should change fairly insignificant things in order to be better heard.

I agree that most software should be free. Indeed, there is quite a bit of it. I just also believe that if a person wishes to sell his hard work, he should be able to. I don't like Linux's ideals. In order for wide adoption it needs to be much simpler, and it should be as idiot proof as Windows and OSX are.

There can always be those who use the innards of the OS to do what they do now, but it needs to have some radical changes first. I have seen those changes occurring very slowly in the last decade, so it's getting on the right path, it's just not there yet.

I have no fear of a website knowing which IP addresses visited, simply because that information is completely worthless by itself. Now, if you happen to use Facebook, then it can know which other websites you've visited because of your IP address having changed little. That's a concern... but only a little one. It's not like they can use that information to harm you. They may be able to better advertise at you, though. That's actually a benefit. You might actually want to buy what they sell you, if they happen to be very good at it.

Then again, there are those who don't want any one to know who they are online, and certainly don't want their movements tracked. Well, there are various ways to avoid detection, and those people should learn how to use them. I am not concerned.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]Haha did you have to Google the name?[/citation]
Nope watched it when it was released. Loved that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.