Facebook Kills Privacy Option to Hide from Strangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@timespinner: did you read the TOS, they can change their settings if they wish. You have the right to delete your account if you don't like the service.

shopperen

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I have deactivated my account and filed a formal complaint with facebook. There are several people whom I will loose contact with. But it is creepy, and not in a good horror film way, to remove that feature. The only reason for, is that Graph Search will not work properly if people hide their timelines and accounts.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Try G+ it at least give you some serious options who do you deal with... I am not willing to give house keys to any trangers!

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
As long as you set your posts to private I fail to see why this is a big deal? This is the same as knowing somebody's name and not knowing where they live...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Remember when Facebook was cool, and actually gave a crap about its user base? Over the last 5 years they have slowly whittles away all your securities to force you to conform. Must have learned it from the borg...

I highly recommend http://deletefacebook.com/ This is not an advertisement, but this site can show you how to remove facebook and what to expect from a data standpoint on what gets removed and what stays behind.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
If you are on facebook then you are a product that they can sell. Facebook is looking for ways to make money and I'm sure those pesky privacy settings were getting in the way.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Do they realize that hundreds of thousand users are below the age of 14 and that breaks privacy laws that are federal in MANY countries.
Also it breaks privacy laws in Canada if this goes through i'm sure there will be class action lawsuits.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I had "friends of friends" set. FB is useful for keeping in touch with a lot of people, especially those you're not willing to keep phone numbers of. Now i'm not sure.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I hardly see this as news , it was so obvious that it will turn that way for like 3 -4 years now ? i mean facebook makes money on selling user data ... and the last year it was full with viruses and fake profiles and that fake 1billion users at one time ... they made their money and now zuckember started acting like apple

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I've had it set to friends or friends forever. I don't really care for the change but really does anyone think they're exempt from the government tracking you if you own a home or have a job if that's your concern. I had it set that way so old GF didn't track me down now that I'm married.

Ella Kramer

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Sad, and kind of scary. People have reasons for not wanting to be seen, like a teacher not wanting their students to see their page. This is not right and might force people off the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.