Facebook Launches Tool for Reporting Suicidal Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is silliness. They make everything so complicated. The best way to prevent suicide is to get someone a nice striped cat. And yes, stripes are necessary. It's the sports model.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
suicide is a mental illnesses?

i can but that emotional distress can cause it, but its a stupid reason to do it.
i can get how taking a real look at life can cause it, a far less stupid reason.

but mental illness?
if i was ever diagnosed with mental illnesses i would try to calmly evaluate my situation, as im doubting anything is curable, just treatable, and would try to get a 22 revolver, try to finish a bucket list... and need i go on?

just my, albeit skewed, opinion,

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
You will be surprised, i think after people get over, oooo lets see what happens, people will start using it properly.

Good on them, a lot of people need help and never have anyone to talk to.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]Most liberals/goths/anarchists either don't believe in god or hate god, so threats of damnation shouldn't be a be a deterrent.[/citation]

Think you might be a little off there in saying that liberals don't believe in, or, hate God. Typical conservative spin/disinformation, trying to make everyone who does not subscribe to your ideology out to be the anti-Christ. You would be well served in getting a quality education for yourself so that you can understand the world around you.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Reason why people use FB while they re depressed is because thats where their friends go so clearly they are looking for emotion support from friends which will do a better job than a retarded so called professional anti-suicide person.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Think you might be a little off there in saying that liberals don't believe in, or, hate God. Typical conservative spin/disinformation, trying to make everyone who does not subscribe to your ideology out to be the anti-Christ. You would be well served in getting a quality education for yourself so that you can understand the world around you.[/citation]

Bah, we should just shove all the Christians in a big oven and call it a day. Most are not curable anyway.

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Can't wait to abuse this...I am going to create a bunch of fake people on FB and say they are all suicidal.
If I'm mad at one of my friends for an hour I may have to report them as suicidal. This will be AWESOME!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Reason why people use FB while they re depressed is because thats where their friends go so clearly they are looking for emotion support from friends which will do a better job than a retarded so called professional anti-suicide person.[/citation]

The problem is that a lot of people don't actually know how to deal with someone who's feeling that way. These counselors have years of experience and know what to say, and, more importantly, what *not* to say. I agree that people posting this kind of stuff on Facebook are crying for help/some kind of intervention from friends and family, but it's a very delicate situation and it scares a lot of people. If any one of my close friends divulged these kinds of emotions in a Facebook message, I would feel completely helpless. Obviously not to the point where I wouldn't at least try and help them through it, but I would be very freaked out and worried that something I say or do might make the problem worse.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]The problem is that a lot of people don't actually know how to deal with someone who's feeling that way. These counselors have years of experience and know what to say, and, more importantly, what *not* to say. I agree that people posting this kind of stuff on Facebook are crying for help/some kind of intervention from friends and family, but it's a very delicate situation and it scares a lot of people. If any one of my close friends divulged these kinds of emotions in a Facebook message, I would feel completely helpless. Obviously not to the point where I wouldn't at least try and help them through it, but I would be very freaked out and worried that something I say or do might make the problem worse.[/citation]

It's important to keep things in perspective. Life is transient, and everyone will die. The whole death thing is not a matter of if, but when. Also, you have to have faith that the Universe will unfold as it should, and any force that would give us stupid humans any real say in anything important would have to be insane. It might seem important, but in the overall scheme of thing, everything will turn out as it should. The graveyards are full of irreplaceable people, as the saying goes.

But, more to the point, unless you're completely inept, and I'm sure you are not, someone close can be very helpful if they are not afraid to be, and have faith in their ability. Humans are basic creatures, with basic needs, and we all understand them. Because you're close to them, you aren't going away when you get off the phone, and that's important, because, being primates, humans are not fond of being alone, or feeling alone. Also, I'm sure you know that if you can get someone to laugh, everything after that gets much easier. Empathy is important, and a gift (and curse) but even without it, common sense can still be helpful. Make someone feel less alone, give them a greater perspective (by using yourself as an example of how insignificant we are), give at least the impression you understand, and be willing to work on them with the problem, and you'll have a pretty good chance of success. If not, the Sun will still be fusing hydrogen tomorrow, that person will be somewhere else, and Universe will unfold as it should. If we do our best, normally good things will happen, but not always. When they don't, it's just not how it was supposed to be.

Also, a pet can make a HUGE difference in someone's life, especially a baby (kitten or puppy). Something dependent takes our minds off ourselves, and on the dependent creature. When it's a cute cat (yes, I'm partial to felines) that snuggles up, starts purring and falls asleep, you have another reason to stay on the Earth, and feel a lot less lonely. Plus, you'll probably have less problems with mice :p .

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
may be better than facebooks current way of dealing with suicidal posts, aka banning their account so they could think about what they did on facebook to get banned and punish them self for it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
But the facebook community has ways of providing support for suicidal users. If you notice someone making suicidal post, then provide support by "liking" their post.

Status
Not open for further replies.