Facebook Now Offers LGBT Relationship Statuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't mind if they make more status options, it's just a website, and it's a simple change that makes people happy, which doesn't effect 'hurt' anyone

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
quitting facebook is the best thing that has ever happened to me

but it was nice having tons of pics... always ncie to go back and look at them

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
What, "In a relationship" doesn't cover it? Who the hell cares what kind of relationship these people are in. Keep that crap to yourselves. The world doesn't need to know how gay you are, just like the world doesn't need to know how straight I am.

They act like they are owed something for their "lifestyle".

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jimishtar[/nom]marriage by definition is between opposite sex partners.[/citation]

And who defines it that way? The Church? Government laws made decades ago?

If religious groups want to prevent LBGT couples from marrying, fine. That's called freedom of religion. But that the government, which by defintion should be secular and open, prevents gays from marrying is absurd. For that starters, they don't get the countless financial advantages associated with marriage. Second, they don't get the right to fully enjoy their sexuality.

How a country that claims it supports freedom can oppose gay marriage, which is a personal freedom par excellence, is beyond me. Especially the Republicans, who keep shouting there should be freedom for all are hypocrits. The right to have a gun? Sure. The right to marry someone you love? No, God forbids that.

In what century are we living?

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Some of you need to leave your small towns where everyone is the same, white, god-fearing sheep. I can't believe some of you bigots.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]Some of you need to leave your small towns where everyone is the same, white, god-fearing sheep. I can't believe some of you bigots.[/citation]

The irony in this statement is too much to ignore.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]And who defines it that way?

The right to marry someone you love? No, God forbids that.

In what century are we living?[/citation]

1) God.
2) No, God created the institution of Marriage.
3) We're in the year 2011, which is the 21st century.

Because God is timeless, so also are His laws, which are the very laws of creation itself. Our own evolution as humans has no affect on God.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]Some of you need to leave your small towns where everyone is the same, white, god-fearing sheep. I can't believe some of you bigots.[/citation]

Speaking of bigots. Did you just profile everyone who disagrees with gay marriage as living in small towns, white, and god-fearing sheep?

I bet you can find Black, Mexican, Asian (and others) people who are not god-fearing, and live in big cities that still disagree with gay marriage.

As for the God-fearing sheep comment. Thank you. :) If you properly recognize me as God fearing, and as one of His sheep, then I'm representing myself properly as a Christian. Because God is the almighty, and I am indeed a part of His flock. Jesus is the Good Shepard after all. And He said He would leave the 99 to seek out the 1 who is lost.

You can be that one, if you choose.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]What took so long? Oh, that's right, our country is run by bigoted old men (in Congress).[/citation]
Where did you learn about Capitalism? Oh, that's right, in the CCCP.

Anyway, I say good for them. Anyone who genuinely believes facebook relationship status is a driving force for LGBT rights should seriously have their head examined. Where's gay marriage in California and all the other states? Where's women serving on the front lines of war as footsoldiers?

captainm27

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Speaking of bigots. Did you just profile everyone who disagrees with gay marriage as living in small towns, white, and god-fearing sheep?I bet you can find Black, Mexican, Asian (and others) people who are not god-fearing, and live in big cities that still disagree with gay marriage.As for the God-fearing sheep comment. Thank you. :) If you properly recognize me as God fearing, and as one of His sheep, then I'm representing myself properly as a Christian. Because God is the almighty, and I am indeed a part of His flock. Jesus is the Good Shepard after all. And He said He would leave the 99 to seek out the 1 who is lost.You can be that one, if you choose.[/citation]

Jerreece, I too am a sheep, and part of His flock! Preach it!

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]1) God.2) No, God created the institution of Marriage.3) We're in the year 2011, which is the 21st century.Because God is timeless, so also are His laws, which are the very laws of creation itself. Our own evolution as humans has no affect on God.[/citation]

1.) So far it has been defined that way by all these bigoted humans. But as years pass people's minds are opened, and soon it will be defined that way no longer.
2.) Marriage isn't from any one religion. It is something that has existed in multiple cultures that are untouched by your religion for thousands of years.
3.) You're right, it is the year 2011 in the 21st century. And at this point I think it's safe to say that it's time for people to stop depending on some possibly nonexistent god and start depending on themselves.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
@Jerrence and Captainm, let me ask you this. Did god give man the ability to reason? Did god give man the ability to make his own choices? Did God elevate man above the other creatures of the Earth by giving them these gifts? Did god send his son Jesus down to Earth to give man forgiveness for all his sins? Does God accept all men who are willing to allow God into their hearts, to repent for their sins?

Then why the hell do you care whether a man and man get married? God gave ALL men and women of this Earth free will, it's something that is at the heart of Democracy in the West. If it's a sin, let them burn eternally in hell, have their flesh eaten by worms and torn apart. As long as you stay true to your faith, you will be delivered and if those poor souls ever do repent for their sins, if they ever do accept God into their hearts, then they will be delivered same as you.

You can't take away a gift given to man by God, even if God says it is a sin. God allowed man to make his own choices, make his own mistakes, and sin. Their redemption is in Jesus's hands, not yours.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]1) God.2) No, God created the institution of Marriage.3) We're in the year 2011, which is the 21st century.Because God is timeless, so also are His laws, which are the very laws of creation itself. Our own evolution as humans has no affect on God.[/citation]
Unless of course you worship the god that pre-dates Christianity in which all are told to "do as ye will, harm ye none".

We could have world peace if Christians would just read a god-damn history book!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Put it to the people and I guarantee a constitutional amendment defining marriage is between a man and a women would pass easily...nuff said.[/citation]

Actually, most countries where such a referendum was held accepted gay marriage. In fact, the ones with the highest HDI's all did so. Odd, isn't it?

And I can name hundreds of things that would be rejected or accepted in a referendum that should be avoided at all cost. Your point being?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

You are defending a religious point of view. Again, it's a religious institution's right to ban gay marriage. Freedom of religion is a good thing.

But when the state, a secular institution by definition, is influenced by religious views, a line is crossed. I believe in freedom, which is the right to do everything that does not harm others. In what way does loving another man or woman hurt anyone?

Besides, 'God said so' is not a rational argument. In fact, it's not even an argument at all (google the definition of argument please). Thus, using it in a debate is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.