Facebook Now Reaches More than Half of All Internet Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kodiack[/nom]Regardless of anyone's opinion on Facebook, this is an impressive feat![/citation]

Not really.
All social network sites are basically the same. The only reason people use facebook is that everyone else uses facebook.
It's simple network effects. Whichever social network site has the most users, will attract more users.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
It makes me sad to think almost 20% of the world population is wasting ALL THIS TIME in a single social network, instead of doing something useful (like working, studying, exercising, etc) - happily handing data to advertisers and whoever wants to pay for all that information you put online for a few "likes".

Now think of how much people waste in the other social networks, video/humor sites and stuff... poor, poor humankind evolution.

Kodiack

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Not really. All social network sites are basically the same. The only reason people use facebook is that everyone else uses facebook.It's simple network effects. Whichever social network site has the most users, will attract more users.[/citation]

Yes, but the fact that it was this one site that managed to come out on top is still impressive. There are thousands of search engines out there, yet when people want to find something, chances are they'll use Google. It's not a small undertaking to become a number one site.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Kodiack[/nom]Yes, but the fact that it was this one site that managed to come out on top is still impressive. There are thousands of search engines out there, yet when people want to find something, chances are they'll use Google. It's not a small undertaking to become a number one site.[/citation]

Your argument is invalid. People don't use Google because "everyone else does", they do it because Google has been around for 16 years improving their search engine to become the VERY BEST in the world. Also, Google is useful.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Imagine when Facebook finally gets taken over by the next big social media site ...

What do you think will happen to all the millions of people's personal information? What do you think Facebook would do if they were going under, yet they had millions of dollars worth of personal information on people?

Just saying.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Your argument is invalid. People don't use Google because "everyone else does", they do it because Google has been around for 16 years improving their search engine to become the VERY BEST in the world. Also, Google is useful.[/citation]
Being the best at anything is entirley subjective, the same arguements have raged on for years for nVidia vs ATI, Intel vs AMD, Microsoft Vs Apple, and the fanbois that shout the loudest claim the right to say theirs is the best.
Yes, Google and Facebook are the biggest at what they do, let's just leave it at that, whether they are the best is a moot point because they are so synonymous with their particular field that people refer to them without thinking - even if Bing was 100 times better people would still "Google" it.

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]It makes me sad to think almost 20% of the world population is wasting ALL THIS TIME in a single social network, instead of doing something useful (like working, studying, exercising, etc) - happily handing data to advertisers and whoever wants to pay for all that information you put online for a few "likes".Now think of how much people waste in the other social networks, video/humor sites and stuff... poor, poor humankind evolution.[/citation]

Evidently, not everyone lives in a yoghurt commercial like you

I've made hundreds of friends in and outside of my city that I may never have met if Facebook had never existed, and I'm very sure that I'd rather spoon feed advertisers my product preferences and political sentiments if they're actually going to offer me adverts based on relevant content, unlike half the s**t that arrives in my inbox every week.

G

hundreds of friends really ?? i think you abuse the word friend my friend

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]aieiou[/nom]hundreds of friends really ?? i think you abuse the word friend my friend[/citation]

You're incorrect. There is nobody on my Facebook friend list that I haven't met in person, face to face and there is nobody that I see less than a couple of times per year. Contrary to common belief, it's not actually rocket science to mix a healthy social life with a social networking website.

[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]I don't use FB because of two reasons.

1) I'm not going to give my personal info to these sonsabitches.

2)I have enough real life friends.[/citation]

Bah! Get off my damn lawn you kids! Mumble grumble grumble mumble.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kodiack[/nom]Yes, but the fact that it was this one site that managed to come out on top is still impressive. There are thousands of search engines out there, yet when people want to find something, chances are they'll use Google. It's not a small undertaking to become a number one site.[/citation]

The thing with natural monopolies is, that i only takes a small advantage to get into this monopoly position and from then on it's easy to defend the monopoly position.

Look at Microsoft. Microsoft didn't even want to get into the OS business. They were almost forced into it because IBM couldn't get CP/M.
What made them get into a monopoly position was not a superior product, but the marketing strength of IBM and good business strategy.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]ajkritch[/nom]Evidently, not everyone lives in a yoghurt commercial like you[/citation]

You don't need to live in a yogurt commercial to live REAL life. I've made a couple buddies online too (not on FB), but I don't want to give away personal data FOREVER in exchange for "friends". Try hanging out for real, you'll meet more people and make more friends.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Being the best at anything is entirley subjective, the same arguements have raged on for years for nVidia vs ATI, Intel vs AMD, Microsoft Vs Apple, and the fanbois that shout the loudest claim the right to say theirs is the best....Yes, Google and Facebook are the biggest at what they do, let's just leave it at that, whether they are the best is a moot point because they are so synonymous with their particular field that people refer to them without thinking - even if Bing was 100 times better people would still "Google" it.[/citation]

No, not true. What makes the point "moot" is that people use stuff for a myriad of purposes, which combine best with a single product. For example, designers will die defending their iMacs and gamers bash it mercilessly - and when they meet, they can't leave their points and thus we see the fanboi fights everyday.

With Google, I don't really see any other use but being redirected to other sites with relevant content - and Google is really the best at this, be it with their privacy intrusion or not.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]It makes me sad to think almost 20% of the world population is wasting ALL THIS TIME in a single social network, instead of doing something useful (like working, studying, exercising, etc) - happily handing data to advertisers and whoever wants to pay for all that information you put online for a few "likes".Now think of how much people waste in the other social networks, video/humor sites and stuff... poor, poor humankind evolution.[/citation]
"wasting their time" is highly subjective. Would watching TV, playing video games or even reading a book be a better use of their time? Even people who work 8 hours day, exercice each day, walk the dog, help the kid study, etc. have time for leisure. Who are you to judge how they choose to spend it?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
This is NOT impressive. My wife has like 10 fake accounts for "farmtown" and I have 5 for web development reasons. I bet tons people have tons of fake accounts for all different reasons. Every marketing person on earth has about 5 Facebook accounts to separate their personal from professional. This is all a scam and will come to light one day.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]"wasting their time" is highly subjective. Would watching TV, playing video games or even reading a book be a better use of their time? Even people who work 8 hours day, exercice each day, walk the dog, help the kid study, etc. have time for leisure. Who are you to judge how they choose to spend it?[/citation]

Doing nothing to improve wealth, health (be it mind or body health) or knowledge = waste of time. Answering your question, I think it depends on what's the subject of the book/TV show. Video games are always waste of time unless you win money on it. Social networks serve to the only purpose of self-exposing.

PS: I'm expressing my opinion, who are you to judge it?

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]You don't need to live in a yogurt commercial to live REAL life. I've made a couple buddies online too (not on FB), but I don't want to give away personal data FOREVER in exchange for "friends". Try hanging out for real, you'll meet more people and make more friends.[/citation]

As already mentioned, I hang out regularly with all of my Facebook friends.

Facebook can be an excellent tool for breaking the ice with people that you've been introduced to that you might ordinarily never contact or meet again after that one bespoke occasion.

Moderation is key. Over-reliance on Facebook is just as ignorant as hating on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.