Facebook Settles With FTC on What to Do With Your Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsktek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Well now... maybe I can go back to Facebook... on second thought... my family is on... so no...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
They must "prevent anyone from accessing a user's material no more than 30 days after the user has deleted his or her account".

It's not like they have to delete that user's material... Still not good enough.

G

[citation][nom]rsktek[/nom]Well now... maybe I can go back to Facebook... on second thought... my family is on... so no...[/citation]

I just don't add any family and tell them that i will never add them, cause we are not "friends"

Also I post inappropriate stuff, so i doubt they would want to see that :p

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm waiting for more left-right-combo punches from FTC to Facebook. Cannot wait to get Facebook photo tagging/recognition banned.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Rofl, nice title To all of you who b!tch about their "violated privacy"...... don't put your private data on the internets.[/citation]
Actually even if you choose not to make personal data public companies may know all about you regardless.

Let's start with an example. This very page attempts to load JavaScripts from 13 different domains. They provide tools to make page building easier but some will also help funding THG through adverts. So one could be thinking it's absolutely normal and inherent to internet. But then figure most of these scripts are used in all sort of pages so the companies who write these scripts are sure to know when you visit any of the sites as long os you run their scripts. After few weeks with browsing and thousands of pages viewed It comes to the point they have enough data to profile your browsing habits which can help boosting their advert incomes by delivering the content according to your interests. Still OK for some but others certainly dislike.
Then at last link all the data to social networking or instant massaging and you have a profile accurate enough to spot all your daily habits, relatives, career, interests... anything. All these steps occur with absolutely zero user knowledge.

vectorash

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
This is a very small victory in the war of keeping our data secure online.
I would have preffered to see a steap fine applied to Facebook for all of thei lil' "mishaps" on privacy!
http://www.vectorash.ro/facebook-settles-with-ftc/

Status
Not open for further replies.