Facebook Suggests Reconnecting With the Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Facebook and it's un-needed, uncalled for changes that everyone hates and no one likes. Can you imagine if they ran a country??

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
how should facebook know if someone has passed away or not? dead/alive/zombie will now be a new option in the info tab.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
If I haven't contacted someone on FB in ages then that's because I probably prefer to leave it that way. I remember the people important to me, and don't need FB to do it for me.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Facebook and it's un-needed, uncalled for changes that everyone hates and no one likes. Can you imagine if they ran a country??[/citation]

and how would this be different from America?

i hope the site is humorous tonight......

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
A classmate of mine passed away at the age of 21 over the summer. I load up facebook and it tells me I should reconnect with that girl. It was a little frustrating to say the least.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Right, because this is facebook's fault for adding a useful feature, and not the people who create facebook pages for dead people. I'm sorry, but i have friends pages for deceased friends and facebook did exactly what they talked about in the article. Did i whine about it? no, i realized that facebook is *gasp* not a living entity and that it is in fact *gasp* code on a machine.

Seriously, this is like whining that facebook suggested you be friends with some person who you just happen to hate, and they're supposed to magically know that you hate that person and should never have ruined your mood by suggesting you friend that person.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]kutark[/nom]Right, because this is facebook's fault for adding a useful feature, and not the people who create facebook pages for dead people. I'm sorry, but i have friends pages for deceased friends and facebook did exactly what they talked about in the article. Did i whine about it? no, i realized that facebook is *gasp* not a living entity and that it is in fact *gasp* code on a machine.Seriously, this is like whining that facebook suggested you be friends with some person who you just happen to hate, and they're supposed to magically know that you hate that person and should never have ruined your mood by suggesting you friend that person.[/citation]

I think it's more because it can be emotionally heart wrenching to be reminded of a friend's death that way. There should be some way to switch off the FB profiles of deceased people to avoid this, if this feature is indeed absolutely necessary.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]I think it's more because it can be emotionally heart wrenching to be reminded of a friend's death that way. There should be some way to switch off the FB profiles of deceased people to avoid this, if this feature is indeed absolutely necessary.[/citation]

I totally understand that it can be heart wrenching, but people also need to be more realistic and rational about these things. Harboring some form of hatred or animosity towards facebook because a page for a deceased friend happened to meet the requirement of an algorithm that causes it to show up on your reconnect suggestion list is just being ridiculous.

An example would be a song you and your deceased friend were both huge fans of coming on the radio and causing you to remember times spent with that person. Would it be reasonable for someone to call the radio station and bitch at them that they happened to play this particular song which had meaning to them and their deceased friend, and they should be ashamed of themselves for making the person feel bad? This is in the same ball park of absurdity at harboring hate for facebook and saying they "fail" b/c of this situation.

I'm not trying to bust balls here, b/c again, this exact situation happened to me with a deceased friend, so i really do understand, its frustrating. But i just think people are looking to create an issue where there isn't one.

Also, i agree with you, there should be a way for someone who is on the friends list of a person to send an email to facebook admins to state that "hey, this person is deceased, is there any way their profile can be turned off, etc". It would be very easy for the FB admins to send an email to the account, to confirm that if they don't receive a response, its a reasonable assumption that the person who sent the email wasn't maliciously trying to turn off an active account, and then they could switch the account off.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it just shows facebook for what it really is, a heartless half arsed money making machine (apparently...) that feeds off of everyone's need to announce every F$%@ing little thing to the world. I don't need a machine to remind me who my friends are.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I feel like they are opening a whole new can of worms. How many people are going to try to log into their Facebook, only to find out they are "dead". I'm not sure their qualifications are for "proof" of a death, but I'm pretty sure anyone with ill intentions and Photoshop could just create a whole new problem. How about just not suggesting reconnection on a profile that hasn't logged in with the past 2 weeks?

G

Nevermind dead friends, the reactions I'm reading would suggest that facebook itself is alive. Facebook as of yet has not suggested that I reconnect with any of my dead friends but if it did, my reaction would simply be "lol, silly facebook"

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Facebook and it's un-needed, uncalled for changes that everyone hates and no one likes. Can you imagine if they ran a country??[/citation]

Wow be quiet please.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]kutark[/nom]Right, because this is facebook's fault for adding a useful feature, and not the people who create facebook pages for dead people. I'm sorry, but i have friends pages for deceased friends and facebook did exactly what they talked about in the article. Did i whine about it? no, i realized that facebook is *gasp* not a living entity and that it is in fact *gasp* code on a machine.Seriously, this is like whining that facebook suggested you be friends with some person who you just happen to hate, and they're supposed to magically know that you hate that person and should never have ruined your mood by suggesting you friend that person.[/citation]
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]it just shows facebook for what it really is, a heartless half arsed money making machine (apparently...) that feeds off of everyone's need to announce every F$%@ing little thing to the world. I don't need a machine to remind me who my friends are.[/citation]

Um hey, you're using Tom's which isn't much different... neither is Google for that matter... I'd guess 90% of the internet follows suit... Twitter is more pointless than all of that and yet everyone is obsessed. I don't get any of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.