Facebook to Launch Location-based Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsamples

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
An app to post your location .. like the mall so someone can go and rob your empty house.. gotta love an app like that.

captainnochords

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I don't find the idea of revealing to everyone where I am - and therefore, where I am not, such as at home. Big Brother's watching, why should I do his work for him?

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Oh this is perfect for lonely people who need attention and to tell the 100+ people on thier friends list (who they dont even know) what they are up to and where they are at all time of the day, YAAAY....

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gsamples[/nom]An app to post your location .. like the mall so someone can go and rob your empty house.. gotta love an app like that.[/citation]
Yeah, no lie. Or worse... making it easier for someone to be abducted. They made a big deal about cyber stalking a few years ago, and how we needed a whole bunch of new laws to protect people. Now, we have people serving themselves up for stalkers via Facebook.

Sooner or later we need to get to the point where we stop spending some much money and effort protecting people from their own stupidity.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]captainnochords[/nom]I don't find the idea of revealing to everyone where I am - and therefore, where I am not, such as at home. Big Brother's watching, why should I do his work for him?[/citation]
You seem rather unfamiliar with today's average internet user, so let me educate you. You average user will post to Facebook something like this:

"Planning to take a vacation out of state next week and that, LOL, hope no one steals our stuff *WINK*WINK*."
-and-
"Oh shoot, we got halfway across the state and I remembered I forgot to lock the back door. If you happen across 123 Pine St. please don't steal my stuff LOL."
-and-
"Not gonna be back till friday afternoon, 4 whole days with no one at the house. I wonder if the neighbors ever fixed their porch light, its so dark in the backyard without it, especially near the kitchen door I left unlocked."

They will Twitter that they're "On Bus Corner 8th & Main" ... "Off bus at 4th and Main" ... "Damn, meant to get off bus at 2nd and Main LOLOL" ... "Ooops, dropped keys typing last tweet, LOLOL" ... "Gettin fat cash at ATM goin out wit peeps 2nite, hit me up at Club 7!".

Basically, these people don't give a rats ass what information they reveal, which is why Facebook is all too happy to use that information for their own profit.

Heck, remember when the wife of the head of the CIA posted on Facebook her families vacation itinerary? Somehow, she didn't think it might be a problem if someone knew exactly where the head of the CIA and his family were at all times.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Oh this is perfect for lonely people who need attention and to tell the 100+ people on thier friends list (who they dont even know) what they are up to and where they are at all time of the day, YAAAY....[/citation]
100+? the real lonely ones have 400-600+!

G

great idea...let thieves know when you are not home...real smart

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Facebook kinda had this feature already I thought, atleast when it was first starting out. I remember signing into FB in the dorms and people would be able to see exactly which freshman building i was in.

It would state " is currently signed in at Rhoads Hall"

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Sooner or later we need to get to the point where we stop spending some much money and effort protecting people from their own stupidity.[/citation]

I think this country would turn itself around once we stopped doing just this. The fact that we waste sooo much money protecting stupid people from themselves is crippling america. give it 50 years and the population of "stupid" in america will drop 80% due to natural selection.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]gsamples[/nom]An app to post your location .. like the mall so someone can go and rob your empty house.. gotta love an app like that.[/citation]

Burglarize is the correct term.

kal20mx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I believe google does not own any part of facebook. This is one of the reasons why I canceled my facebook. And you cant really cancel it you can always log back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.