Facebooking Not A Sin, Says Pope Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
The Pope official blessed the used of Internet communication tools, especially social networks, but warned about risks.

Seriously, does anyone proof this stuff?

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Quick, lock up your children! The priests will be all over Facebook now trying to find more kids to prey on.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
If I was a Catholic, I'd be so relieved that I could now look at such websites without fear of going to hell. No, really.

Like anyone cared anyway? Like he's the authority on what people should and shouldn't do.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]If I was a Catholic, I'd be so relieved that I could now look at such websites without fear of going to hell. No, really.Like anyone cared anyway? Like he's the authority on what people should and shouldn't do.[/citation]

You do know what/who the pope is?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
"Like he's the authority on what people should and shouldn't do."

For his people, and there are a lot of 'em, he is the authority on what they should or should not do.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]"Like he's the authority on what people should and shouldn't do."For his people, and there are a lot of 'em, he is the authority on what they should or should not do.[/citation]
When his priests are caught molesting children I think he loses the whole authority to tell people what to do :p

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]If I was a Catholic, I'd be so relieved that I could now look at such websites without fear of going to hell. No, really.Like anyone cared anyway? Like he's the authority on what people should and shouldn't do.[/citation]

well, that the thing about being the king of 17% of the worlds population. What he says goes and the loyal part of that 17% follows. really if he says its okay to sit naked on the couch he will bless everyones coaches and 17% of the world will start walking around naked at home. I still think its funny that they bless internet tools, social networks and toasters, lol

G

"In the search for sharing, for 'friends', there is the challenge to be authentic and faithful, and not give in to the illusion of constructing an artificial public profile for oneself," ... "It is important always to remember that virtual contact cannot and must not take the place of direct human contact with people at every level of our lives."

I may not understand why people think that they have to specifically follow the pope in matters such as these but this was spoken like a true wise man.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
ok those are no Christians..u dont need a mediator to talk to god...u can talk to him through jesus christ..and as a christian myself...I dont need no one telling me if Facebook is ok or not. Wake up people..organized religion defeats the purpose of Christianity..its to be like christ..love one another..and live the life that god would want you to...everyday..not just on Sundays.

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."
james 1:27

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
and I forgot to ad that u accept the fact the jesus died on the cross....and admit to him were sinners....as everyone is..me included...and to accept jesus into our lives...and do our best to turn from those sins.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]ok those are no Christians..u dont need a mediator to talk to god...u can talk to him through jesus christ..and as a christian myself...I dont need no one telling me if Facebook is ok or not. Wake up people..organized religion defeats the purpose of Christianity..its to be like christ..love one another..and live the life that god would want you to...everyday..not just on Sundays."Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."james 1:27[/citation]

Are you sure you're a Christian? Organized religion defeats the purpose? Keep in mind, Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew (Organized Religion). He was the "King of the Jews". Christians, quite frankly, are followers of Jesus Christ (a Jew). Jesus did not come to get rid of Judaism, but came to turn it into it's proper form.

Also, have you EVER studied the early Christians? Ever heard of "house churches"? When Christians were being killed by the Romans, they hid in groups and secretly held church in people's homes. And quite frankly, if "organized religion" was not intended, why then do we have the New Testament? Yes! In fact, if you read it you'll realize it's mostly made up of letters the Apostles wrote to *GASP* Churches!! Holy cow, you mean they had organized places of worship while Jesus' disciples were alive?? OH EM GEE!!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]When his priests are caught molesting children I think he loses the whole authority to tell people what to do[/citation]
Bingo. Mildly amusing that people think I don't know who the Pope is, though, nor what he represents and what power he wields.

I don't find him a reprehensible man, and from what I've discovered he's actually been rather proactive in tackling this issue for a good few years, but when you're the head of a religion (and he is), you're going to attract all sorts of criticism when people you trust are abusing said trust.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Bingo. Mildly amusing that people think I don't know who the Pope is, though, nor what he represents and what power he wields.I don't find him a reprehensible man, and from what I've discovered he's actually been rather proactive in tackling this issue for a good few years, but when you're the head of a religion (and he is), you're going to attract all sorts of criticism when people you trust are abusing said trust.[/citation]

Keep in mind, President Obama is not responsible for the actions of every person in Congress. The individual Congressman/women are responsible for their own actions.

In the same way, Pope Benedict is not responsible for the actions of every Priest. The individual Priest is responsible for his own actions.

The Pope is responsible for passing down official decrees, and publicly stating the faith beliefs of the Church. It is his job to represent Christ on Earth as head of the Church. Not to babysit every member of the Church throughout the world.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Perhaps not, but I still believe in getting one's house in order first.

Regardless, if there's a sleaze scandal in politics, it sours the reputation of the political party in question. It wouldn't have been such a public relations disaster for the Vatican had the sexual abuse been few and far between.

Anyway... it's good to see the Vatican getting with the times. At least I'm not being told I'm going to hell.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
silverblue - Most of us who are going to hell aren't being told so though. :( Since we live in such a politically correct world anymore.

Regardless, the reason the Catholic Church's reputation is at stake isn't because of public relations problems, or sleaze scandals, but because people (human beings) can't disassociate one bad apple from the tree it fell from. Note, I say "fell from." Jesus says that good trees can only produce good fruit. And it's true. However, once that fruit leaves the tree... well.

That's not to say the Church is entirely perfect. It is after all made up of mankind. And humans often choose what they will, and not what God wills. Errors happen in folks' judgment.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
So they do... mine was to start a religious debate when I'm not even religious. :)

If the Vatican believes Facebook isn't evil then it can't really be all bad. ;) What we need is a little summoned divine retribution for those people who propagate bad links on Facebook...

G

I wonder how much he was paid to endorse the product.
Is using MySpace a sin? I need to know!
Did a pope ever clear cellphone use (specifically Verizon) from being a sin?
I can't think for myself and I'm so scared of going to hail!

aleh1811

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
People greatly overestimate the influence the Pope has on catholics. I live in a 95% catholic country (Argentina) and 90% of the people couldn't care less about what the pope has to say. The 5% rest are simply pious. Even gay marriage was legalized not too long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.