Facebook's CEO on Privacy: We Missed the Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]wonspur[/nom]But if we trust him we are "dumb fucks" right?[/citation]

You better eat your words Mark if you want anyone to stay around.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]wonspur[/nom]But if we trust him we are "dumb fucks" right?[/citation]
Couldn't have said it better!
Never used Facebook, never will. Condolences to those who do. Mark has flat out stated what he "really" thinks about you.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I'd love to see how the "opt out of all third party services" goes over with Zuckerberg's business squad. With that feature, Facebook will be worthless when everyone opts out of advertising.

Google and Facebook share the same fundamental business problem: The bulk majority of their potential revenue is generated by advertising to people who don't really want to be advertised to.

Facebook is incredibly over-valued in my opinion; the technology is new and the first few buyers tossed out some valuations, but in the end it will bust when advertisers don't get the business they expect from advertising on Facebook.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I didn't find any of the privacy options confusing or difficult to find. I was annoyed at the fact that my privacy settings were basically reset to normal but going back in and changing them back wasn't difficult at all.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006

Welcome to the technological age of the internet. Where even immature, irresponsible frat boys can own their own empire!

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's worth noting that once you post on facebook, you do agree to the terms that all info posted is no longer "personal information" thus it's grossly misleading that they keep repeating that "We do not share your personal information" - of course they don't, but once you post on Facebook, it's no longer personal, it's public, and so they are misleading with terms. Read the freaking terms of use and stop being outraged over things which are clearly stated.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I didn't find any of the privacy options confusing or difficult to find. I was annoyed at the fact that my privacy settings were basically reset to normal but going back in and changing them back wasn't difficult at all.[/citation]

It must have confused you then. Because there are like 50 different privacy settings to change.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]It must have confused you then. Because there are like 50 different privacy settings to change.[/citation]
Actually there are/were 170 at the last official count that I saw.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]Actually there are/were 170 at the last official count that I saw.[/citation]

That's exactly my point. If 'tayb' thinks it is easy, then he missed a ton of stuff. You have to check even little things like who can see your pictures, albums, wall posts, message you, see your birth date, your location, your email address, your phone number (there's a line item for every piece of info or item you add or upload).

It's extremely annoying, inefficient, and obviously seems to lean toward keeping your information PUBLIC. Everything you add to your Profile (let alone videos, photos, audio, etc) is all searchable through Google. So everything you post on Facebook can be found by ANYONE even if you generally mark your account as "Friends Only". All your stuff is still searchable. You have to actually tick "Private" for every tiny thing in your profile. It's utterly ridiculous.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I've used facebook in the past but was sharp enough to not put in any important personal information (the same with any website I do not intend to order goods from). So glad of that now.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]It must have confused you then. Because there are like 50 different privacy settings to change.[/citation]

You are equating quantity with difficulty. I think annoying would be a better word. You have to select "friends only" on 40 something different options and opt out of several things but it's not difficult at all. It's annoying going through all of that but it isn't confusing in the slightest.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]That's exactly my point. If 'tayb' thinks it is easy, then he missed a ton of stuff. You have to check even little things like who can see your pictures, albums, wall posts, message you, see your birth date, your location, your email address, your phone number (there's a line item for every piece of info or item you add or upload).It's extremely annoying, inefficient, and obviously seems to lean toward keeping your information PUBLIC. Everything you add to your Profile (let alone videos, photos, audio, etc) is all searchable through Google. So everything you post on Facebook can be found by ANYONE even if you generally mark your account as "Friends Only". All your stuff is still searchable. You have to actually tick "Private" for every tiny thing in your profile. It's utterly ridiculous.[/citation]

I didn't miss anything. You guys are reading these sensationalist headlines and not actually logging into facebook and looking at the privacy stuff. It takes five minutes to change every single privacy option on facebook to "friends only" or "only me." You can't find me by google searching, you can't find me by facebook searching, and if you aren't a direct friend of mine (not friend of friend) you can't see anything on my wall or anything about me. You can't even message me if you aren't a friend of a friend.

It is not difficult. Annoying? Yes. Difficult? No. You guys are acting like it takes an hour to change your settings. It doesn't. It's not that hard.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I am sure he has learned to be a mature CEO since those words spoken in private to a friend. If I gave you my private info while you were in college, you'd probably call me a dumb fuck in an email to your buddy too.

If you exploded into a corporation and suddenly had the responsibility of being a CEO of a huge company, you're bound to think differently, and I'm sure Zucker is now.

That said, Facebook's privacy settings are kind of dumb and he has stated they're working to change them.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I didn't miss anything. You guys are reading these sensationalist headlines and not actually logging into facebook and looking at the privacy stuff. It takes five minutes to change every single privacy option on facebook to "friends only" or "only me." You can't find me by google searching, you can't find me by facebook searching, and if you aren't a direct friend of mine (not friend of friend) you can't see anything on my wall or anything about me. You can't even message me if you aren't a friend of a friend.It is not difficult. Annoying? Yes. Difficult? No. You guys are acting like it takes an hour to change your settings. It doesn't. It's not that hard.[/citation]

There is a flaw in the privacy settings though. If you have your wall set to "Everyone" thinking that's no big deal and you have your Photos set to "Friends only", anyone commenting on your photos then shows up on your wall, allowing everyone to see that particular photo and in turn, any photo that has ever been commented on, basically making your photos public when you chose private.

Status
Not open for further replies.