Facial Recognition App Could Be Stalkers' Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
news flash:
People can find your public info you ad to facebook using public tools!

people will scream its an invasion of privacy, when they are the ones adding every bit of their info into facebook, and twittering everyplace they goto like a ADHD habit.

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
^+1

If you didn't post your personal info, this app wouldn't work...

oh and if you own a car, all your info is available publicly anyway from the taxes and registration...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
i agree with the above posters but people DO use those sites and DO post their junk!
I think this is a neat tool to add contacts quickly but i do see the concerns.
Johnny freako walking down the street sees a girl he likes, takes her picture and now he knows where she lives. There is a problem with that! Or worse freako takes a picture of my son and gets his name and limited info (i watch what he does online).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ktasley[/nom]^+1 If you didn't post your personal info, this app wouldn't work...oh and if you own a car, all your info is available publicly anyway from the taxes and registration...[/citation]
Yes but not instantly from your phone wherever you are. Also you would need a persons name to look them up. This app will get you that name.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
'It takes the dangers that already exist and increases them infinitely," said Simon Davies of Privacy International. Other security experts are already protesting against the app, saying that it could lead burglars right to your front door.
It's a scary stalking tool when it's in the hands of normal people, but it's a great public safety tool when it's in the hands of the government.

/sarcasm

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
There's a huge public safety issue here. Some scammer for instance can do a face scan on a target, find out that she has a kid, and pretend to be a cop and tell her that her kid is in trouble and that she needs to come with him in his white van with no windows or something.

This is just one example. Tons of similar scenarios abound.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
What are the positive uses for this? Is it to save you the couple of seconds it would take to add a friend to your facebook etc?

If I were single, the only use I would see would be to take peoples pictures (ie, hot chicks) when you are out and find out stuff about them. I know that sounds stalkish but I think any normal single guy that gets his picture with a hot chick at a bar will end up pushing the recognize button. What you then do with that information is where the trouble can start. So if normal guys would use it to get girls info, imagine what a freako would do.

Anyway, I just dont see anything good comming from this app.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I don't think this should be released. If you want to know who someone is, then ask them. No reason to be a creeper/stalker/sketchy person.

I would feel odd using this, I even feel odd getting a phone number or address off of Facebook even if the person has already friend requested me, it's just weird. You should have to ask them personally.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I made application for university project and works, how much it will cost?
My application only has a data base for friends not for all FB people
Is for Windows CE
:)

etichi

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I've have always had a suspicion that the government is sitting back enjoying us fill in our personal information.

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
"Hey cutie, can I get your number?"
"What? No, get away from me you creep!"
*click*
"Thanks!"

yeah I can see this app doing really well...

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]There's a huge public safety issue here. Some scammer for instance can do a face scan on a target, find out that she has a kid, and pretend to be a cop and tell her that her kid is in trouble and that she needs to come with him in his white van with no windows or something.This is just one example. Tons of similar scenarios abound.[/citation]

How'bout if you are on vacation somewhere and someone takes your picture and then uses this to get your home address. They know you are not home anytime soon.

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]There's a huge public safety issue here. Some scammer for instance can do a face scan on a target, find out that she has a kid, and pretend to be a cop and tell her that her kid is in trouble and that she needs to come with him in his white van with no windows or something.This is just one example. Tons of similar scenarios abound.[/citation]

Dude, you really need to call Uwe Boll, you sound like the kinda guy he gets his screenplays from.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Security through obscurity is NOT security. I don't know who these experts are, but they're giving bad advice. If a bunch of programmers can do it, so can another bunch. In fact, I might give it a shot for sh*ts and giggles and use it to stalk idiotic commentors on websites. [Disclaimer: That was a joke]

If people want to be secure, they shouldn't allow themselves to become targets. Yes, it IS up to the people to keep themselves secure, just like it's our responsibility to not give out details to people in real life.

At one time, telling people your PC details would have been a little too much, these days telling people your detailed sex life, complete with bank details, is normal. The only person that knows all of my personal details is my partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.