Factory installed windows 8.1 is going to expire after being used for 6 months??????

frogsot

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
So very often I am getting a notice that pops up and sometimes its ever few mins or even moments asking me to go to settings to activate my key. The only things I have done to it is a few recoveries and installed a windows 10 preview. The laptop is not even a year all yet. I months at most. No CD or windows product key that I can find. Only serial number and model number listed.
Windows licences will expire on July 4th. This really is major BS.

Specs:
Asus ROG g750
I7
16GB ram
870m
750gb drive

Solution
So, since you did a rollback or system image restore, you probably need to reactivate. It's not a big deal. Go to Control Panel, System, and on the bottom right hand side of the System tab there should be a link to activate. Follow the instructions. The product key should be baked into the BIOS so it should activate automatically once you initiate the activation. If it doesn't, that link should provide you with a number to activate manually but you'll probably need to use magic jellybean to extract your current product key as the recorded message at Microsoft activation will ask for it.

Magic Jellybean: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

frogsot

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

It clearly states that in the active windows settings when it says it needs a new key or to activate windows online.

frogsot

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Installed windows 10 preview over 8.1 Did a roll back to windows 8.1. did a restore at some point. Now I got this message.

frogsot

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Nope. only did the preview. This should not be a problems. If the product key is invaild where to I re enter the code. They no longer pring them on the computers or includ them in the box.

So, since you did a rollback or system image restore, you probably need to reactivate. It's not a big deal. Go to Control Panel, System, and on the bottom right hand side of the System tab there should be a link to activate. Follow the instructions. The product key should be baked into the BIOS so it should activate automatically once you initiate the activation. If it doesn't, that link should provide you with a number to activate manually but you'll probably need to use magic jellybean to extract your current product key as the recorded message at Microsoft activation will ask for it.

Magic Jellybean: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Solution