Fail0verflow Obtains PS3 Cryptography Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Hmmm can they not be held liable?[/citation]
With the DMCA, simply possessing the private key can probably be considered tampering or illegal in some way. I wouldn't doubt Sony's lawyers are already working overtime getting the cease-and-desist and lawsuits ready. The same thing happened when someone cracked the DVD master key. The DVD association dried to stop the guy from posting it using all sorts of legal claims, of course, its everywhere now.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I only play PC games now, and use my PS3 as a media centre. With Steam summer and winter sales, it's easier to just buy them.
Custom firmware on the other hand, I like. Hopefully with full GPU access.

March on men.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
will some one of Tom's delete this dude with the name dsdfsdfdsf . The Spam is getting old and I am going to have to fire up the LOIC on the linecheckout site.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]will some one of Tom's delete this dude with the name dsdfsdfdsf . The Spam is getting old and I am going to have to fire up the LOIC on the linecheckout site.[/citation]
Please do this the spammer websites.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Sometimes I feel that this stuff is more like excuses to run pirated games. Maybe the developer didn't intend to use it that way, but many others are.

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]should they not tell sony about this? lol next firmware[/citation]
Thats not going to work. That would revoke the license of every current and past PS3 title. Sony might be fuct this time.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is actually good news to give us the linux capability again. However, it won't be long for Sony to update the firmware with a new key that will disable the hacks. If you really want to run linux stuff you're better off doing it on a regular PC and avoid the hassle.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]This is actually good news to give us the linux capability again. However, it won't be long for Sony to update the firmware with a new key that will disable the hacks. If you really want to run linux stuff you're better off doing it on a regular PC and avoid the hassle.[/citation]

Actually this isn't entirely true. If they used the same scheme as DVDs it means they use multiple encryption keys. So if one gets broken other keys will work.

G

No random number generator, it is static, so it would be trivial to calculate the new keys exactly the same way as they calculated this key. Sony screwed up!

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
leak key again, its not just Sony, it happens all over the place.

I guess humans can design the most secured lock, but they always just leave the keys under the front carpet with a sign next to it that saids "No spare key underneath"

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Im curious to what the key actually is... Also I think it would be hard for sony to just change the key, since by changing it wouldn't all the games that are currently out no longer work? Unless the games/ps3 have multiple codes and you could remove just one and still have it work; but I'm not really sure if it works that way?

This does seem like a plus for the fact that anyone could develop a game for the ps3, on the other hand some people will probably use it to try make some kind of virus... but only time will tell.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Im curious to what the key actually is... Also I think it would be hard for sony to just change the key, since by changing it wouldn't all the games that are currently out no longer work? Unless the games/ps3 have multiple codes and you could remove just one and still have it work; but I'm not really sure if it works that way?This does seem like a plus for the fact that anyone could develop a game for the ps3, on the other hand some people will probably use it to try make some kind of virus... but only time will tell.[/citation]
That's right. Changing the key would kill every game out there. However signing stuff with someone's private key is a criminal offense in most of the world so I wouldn't count on any commercial gain from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS