Failed Win10 install causes Inspiron to not run right

Mouserocks

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Hello all,

After a long time of fruitless searching I'm going to just post my issues here and see if anybody knows what I'm talking about. ANY help would be wonderful.

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop with an i5 processor. I have had this laptop for probably almost 6 years, with no major issues even though I run a lot of programs like the Adobe CS. Back in August (or thereabouts) I finally decided to cave to Microsoft's pressures and upgrade to the new Windows 10 for free while I could (family members did and seemed to like it, so figured why not). It told me my system was all good to go ahead, matched all reqs. etc. So I upgraded.

First error: my computer never stopped running. It took days of continual loading without any progress, frozen on the blue upload screen, until eventually I decided to forget it and powered it off with a hard restart. On startup, it told me the upgrade had failed and it was reverting back to win7, which it seems like it did just fine. But ever since then the computer has progressively been having major issues, such as:

- won't start properly
- won't shut down/sleep/hibernate
- won't resume, if tries loads only the empty black screen with the white cursor
- upon eventual starting, won't run any programs, incl. basic files and documents (was letting me load chrome still, but that's it)

I left it alone for a little while, as I was able to use another computer for work, but went back to it this week and faced the same issues. I hard restarted it and ran chkdsk on reboot, which seemed to come up with a long list of errors that I assumed I'd read through in the event viewer after. It restarted fine and was able to login, only for it to not allow me to open/run anything and now the screen is has a semi-transparent white tint and the continually spinning blue cursor.

I'm at a loss. Absolutely any ideas would be great, as I pretty much can't do anything right now except continue to restart and try again. Anybody else experience this issue? Sorry if this is rambling but I'm just have a minor meltdown over here.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I suggest you copy your personal files and data out to another disk as soon as possible because a six year old hard disk which has had a few shocks recently is one that's liable to fall over.

The Windows 10 installation failed and it's too late since July 29th to get a free upgrade so put a fresh installation of Windows 7 on to a new disk. That might as well be a solid state drive - and transfer your files back in, keeping the external backup.
I suggest you copy your personal files and data out to another disk as soon as possible because a six year old hard disk which has had a few shocks recently is one that's liable to fall over.

The Windows 10 installation failed and it's too late since July 29th to get a free upgrade so put a fresh installation of Windows 7 on to a new disk. That might as well be a solid state drive - and transfer your files back in, keeping the external backup.

Solution