Fake Paypal Email

goony20

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
So I got phished today, and I figured I'd come to the fabulous ppl on Tom's forum to ask a few questions. First off, I now have a credit freeze and have notified my bank. My question is; if I follow a link on an email to a fake page that is trying to phish for data, could I have possibly installed some malicious programs like a keylogger. Also, I entered a few digits of my social security number before it dawned on me that paypal would, and has never asked for that info. If I just exited out of the link and deleted the email, is that info available to this phisher or did I have to enter the info and submit it by moving on for him to get it. Any help would be much appreciated.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
It's possible that if you entered any info, someone may see what you entered. I would recommend scanning with an antivirus program, Avast is pretty good and free as well, also try Malware anti bytes I think is the name of it, also free if memory serves, then scan with Spybot Search and Destroy. Those should help pick up some things that may be lurking.