Fallout 3 Launch Successful, PC Version Patched

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I was thinking the same. It made more sales in 1 week than many hyped but pathetic games did in their entire life time.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]invisik[/nom]Better games relate to less piracy.[/citation]
[citation][nom]JDocs[/nom]I was thinking the same. It made more sales in 1 week than many hyped but pathetic games did in their entire life time.[/citation]
I agree 100%. It might seem weird to developers, but from my perspective it's true. I know many people who pirated Crysis just to see the visuals 'cos the game kinda sucked. All of them have purchased Fallout 3 and Warhead (because it's a better than the first + cheaper). Hmmm....

G

i just dont understand how this game got so many good reviews, i played through about halfway and i cannot believe anyone thinks its anything but oblivion with guns (implemented terribly) and vats is the worst thing ive ever seen. i have zero faith in what any reviewer has to say about games now because they are full of shit.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Not sure what hallubalooza's problem is ... FO3 is a pretty good game in its own right. I do at times miss the game play of FO and FO2 but times change I suppose. I for the record played the crap out of Oblivion as well. Similarities exist but not enough for me to call it the same game. I definitely agree with the concept of better games relate to less piracy. Now, I would not have bought this game if Bethesda had decided to use the asinine Securom settings that EA has chose to use.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I echo what gwolfman said about Crysis, I ignored the first one and bought the second one. I am not sure what Crytek was thinking when it released a game (Crysis) that had trouble running on fairly modern computers.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Excellent game, innovative gameplay. I didn't think I'd enjoy the FPS/Turn-based hybrid aspect of it as much as I have. Hullubalooza is either completely detached from reality, trolling, or both.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
It's amazing, this game is SINGLE-PLAYER, and it's for PC, it requires very little internet interaction, o and wait for it... WAIT FOR IT

drm is NEARLY ABSENT ON THIS GAME

this. is. what we call. piracy bait. but no, it outsold HALO 3. [4.2 mill in the first week]

if you make a good game, people will buy it. actually i retract that statement. price a game proportional to its quality of gameplay, and people will buy it. it's the first game that i've bought since the orange box [for pc anyway] and don't regret it. go bethesda, you deserve this

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Yes I agree Eklips..............I bought the deluxe version .I wish that company all the best for treating us much better than EA.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
eklipz, don't be dumb, you general aren't. Shipped and sold are very different meanings.

Shipped is how many copies were sent to retailers, sold is how many were now in consumers hands.

I can ship 1 million of a game and sell just 10 of them. Shipped means almost dumb.

Though I agree with what you said. Great games sell, crap ones don't. Any developer that says otherwise doesn't deserve to be called a developer. It's a insult to developers that actually can develop a great game.

And EA bashing is more old then rick rolling.

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Yea but of those number how many PC Copies were sold.
How many PC copies were pirated.
Pirates will always steal games and make all kinds of excuses as to why.
I don't like DRM but I recognize it as a necessary evil.
We lock our doors of course for the very same reason.
I pay for all of my music and games and amazingly I have never fell victim to a virus and or Trojan. Even though I have been using computers since before most on this list have been born.

Kgrach

randomizer

Distinguished
Some people will pirate no matter how good the game is. They save money and they're happy. There is no point adding a truckload of DRM to stop these people because it just won't happen. Instead, you'll end up with more pirates than you otherwise would have had.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Eh, this game it more like a Fallout Total Conversion of Oblivion, rather than a different game. Although the benefit is that since Oblivion was running on an FPS engine, at least the combat isn't as horrible (They should have made a proper melee engine, rather than tacking weapons onto an FPS).

The repair system is horrible. I get my repair skill up to 100 only to find that the only way to repair the things that I have is to find another of the same item. This completely ruins all quest items, and having the best armours, because you only can use them until the break, or find someone who you want to pay to fix them to a third of their full integrity.

I thought the game was good, but not great. It falls victim to one of the issues Oblivion had, which was you'd get a few great quests, then a fetch quest that would take forever because of the size of the map.

And I wish the saying "Great Games sell, crappy ones don't" was true. But it's not. You can find lists of great games that the general public ignored, that many would agree were great. And look at a game like Carnival Games which sold over 2 million copies.

Hype sells games, not quality. Fallout 3 has been a big deal for a while, so it's not surprising that it's sold well. What really cuts down on piracy is price. When I can buy 5 games for $100, why would I go through the hassle of waiting days to torrent, and get cracks working? When I can't even get 2 games for $100 I'm more inclined to.

Status
Not open for further replies.