Fan Died and Came Back to Life

liammac001

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
I have an HP Envy 17 with an i7 and GT 840M. So the other day I was watching a DVD on it in my bed, and it wad working fine. I got up to do something and closed it, and it made a strange noise. I figured it was the DVD or something. I didn't think much of it. But later when I opened it back up the fan never ramped up like it usually does after resuming and I was sitting at a black screen. I couldn't do anything so I pressed the power button and rebooted. A message cane up warning me that a fan was broken and the system would shutdown in 15 seconds unless I hit enter and that using the laptop with a broken fan might damage it. I hit enter and booted into Windows. I tried playing skyrim to see if the fan would kick on and it didn't . so I exited and forgot about it. A little while later I got on and played Torchlight 2 for half an hour which I know was stupid but the laptop never shut down. However looking at some things told me that the gpu was throttling hard. Anyways not wanting to break anything I shut the laptop down and got back on the next day but this time I booted into OpenSuse, which is a linux distro. I was just typing and screwing around and all of a sudden the fan made a horibble noise like it was caught on something then burst back to life. I almost had a heart attack, but I rebooted and sure enough there was no warning and the fan was spinning away. Its only been a half an hour since then but the fan seems to be working fine. Does anyone have any ideas why this happened and what I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Solution
The fans were probably poorly soldered or the soldering broke since they were installed. Another reason may be that the fans weren't soldered but instead cabled into a port which was not responding properly due to a rootkit virus. Many reasons can be the cause of the fan not working, to prevent it I would recommend placing the laptop on cooling pad with extra fans so it will take stress off of that fan when you have it on your lap.

Mind Games

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
The fans were probably poorly soldered or the soldering broke since they were installed. Another reason may be that the fans weren't soldered but instead cabled into a port which was not responding properly due to a rootkit virus. Many reasons can be the cause of the fan not working, to prevent it I would recommend placing the laptop on cooling pad with extra fans so it will take stress off of that fan when you have it on your lap.

Solution