Fan starts fast then slow to idle at bootup, nothing else happens?

MikeM3

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Acer 5100 Laptop will not boot up.

I have removed and refitted the RAM, I have tried pressing keys at
start up, I have tried with and without battery, still nothing.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you Mike.

Could be a few things, video, screen, motherboard issue, maybe the BIOS. Before doing major replacements, do you get any lights coming up, hard drive, wireless, etc..? If yes, hook up an external monitor to the laptop while it's turned off, turn it on and close the lid quickly. If you get an image on the monitor, you need to look at replacing the LCD screen of the inverter for the screen. If no image or no lights, issue is probably with the BIOS or motherboard. Open up the case (or have a tech do it), unplug the BIOS battery for a few seconds, put it back in, start up the laptop, see what it does. Need to take out the main battery and leave it unplugged also. If that does nothing, you are left with a motherboard replacement. Maybe try new RAM before that though for cost issues.

This link may help you http://www.insidemylaptop.com/taking-apart-acer-aspire-5100-laptop/

This type of issue usually happens to desktop computers, fan starts, does nothing else. Comes from the motherboard dying, usually though bad capacitors.

MikeM3

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Thank you for the response,

I have had the computer in pieces and rebuilt it, still nothing.

I have removed the switch for the screen, the one that shuts it off
when the lid is down.

When I switch on, I get the light on the power button and the one
beside it, I think that is the HDD light, (the lap top is not mine), I also
get the power light and the battery light.

I have plugged in another monitor, still nothing.

The keyboard is dead.

I can open the DVD drive and it tries to work.

I put in a XP master disc to re-instal the OS, it stated OK, but no screen
so I don't know what the problem is.

Mike.

If you have an replaceable video card, start with that. Otherwise from what you have done, the motherboard needs to be swapped out. No video on both an external and the LCD rules out just the LCD issue. May be better to just get a new laptop and transfer data off the old one, unless the laptop is pretty new and woudl be more than 4-500 to replace.

MikeM3

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

A new lap top was my thoughts, this one is 5 - 6 years old and they are much
cheaper these days.

I have nothing spare, I am not in IT or PCs, just trying to help.

Thanks for the support, it helps when I know that I have gone as far as I can.

Mike.