KennyGsmooth16

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Hey everyone,

I'm coming across a problem with my Lenovo Y40. This laptop has caused me many problems. the specs made it look very promising when I bought it about two years ago, but the build quality has proved it to be on the cheap side. That being said, I don't have the money to upgrade as I am a college student, but I need this working. As a CS major, I can't go long without my laptop working correctly. The problem being, the fans stay at 100% speed (or sound like they are) from boot. I have reinstalled Windows 10 and have done the whole run-around and nothing seems to fix the issue. Now, the hard drive on this laptop is HORRIBLE. It's the slowest thing I've ever used. I do plan to upgrade to an SSD very soon and I intend to replace the battery as it has a cell burnt out. However, I don't want to put more money into this machine until I figure out this annoying fan problem. You can imagine how terrible it is for other people to listen to my fans at 100% during a class lecture. I did download hardware monitor to check the CPU temps, they are extremely cool, so I know the system isn't running hot. I also attempted to control the fans with Speed Fan, but it was unable to detect the fans. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Use the link below to see screenshots of the hardware monitoring if you'd like. I would greatly appreciate some help with this.

Thanks,
Kyndle

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6u0W6Up3jfrUEFNVk5vSFpsX2c

Solution
Hmm although it isn't normal for them to act that way, it isn't unheard of. Some fans are rather odd and will do a kind of push/test when they are first given power.

If they aren't going bad, and it really bugs you, I would contact the manufacturer. :)
Sometimes Speed fan won't work with laptops. There are, however, other temp monitors out there that may work. You don't need to use them for changing the speed of your fans, you need to make sure that the laptop isn't overheating. If you don't, you could have a lot more problems.

Once you know the temps, then you will have a better idea of what is going on. If the temps are high, then you may just need to clean out the insides of any dust, etc., and make sure the vents are clear. If that doesn't do it, the thermal paste for the fans may need replacing.

Should you still get overheating, or over running fans at this point, then the fans are probably your problem, and will need replacing.

KennyGsmooth16

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Yes, I have of course checked the temps. That was my original worry. However, nothing alarmed me at all. The CPU was sitting around 30-40°C. But like I said, it's spinning them up that fast at boot, like on the BIOS screen. It's very strange. I was fearing that it was the fans going out, however, I'm not sure if that's the case either. The reasoning for this is, yesterday, I booted it and the fans spun up to 100% at boot but when I got into Windows, they immediately dropped down to an idle speed. It's this inconsistency that's troubling me. It could boot with fans at 100% and they could stay that way, or they could drop back down. It's very random.

I will try to find another fan controller software though, maybe another will pick up my laptop fans.

Thanks for the help,
Kyndle

Hmm although it isn't normal for them to act that way, it isn't unheard of. Some fans are rather odd and will do a kind of push/test when they are first given power.

If they aren't going bad, and it really bugs you, I would contact the manufacturer. :)

Solution