Fans Flocking Back to World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

what about Lord of the Rings online? Why is it never mentioned. I know thousands of players play. Why is it left out of these stories? Mines of Moria expansion goes live Nov. 18.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I tried Conan and only played it a month until I stoped and went back completly to WoW.

Star Trek: Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic I'm sure will only have the same outcome. I will still probably try SW Old Republic MMO and will prey that it delivers. The problem is that it cannot perfect from the begining. WoW wasnt but they slowly added and changed things.

What can I say Blizzard knows how to make good games.

O ya what about LotRO, I here its a pretty decent game now. Maybe I will try that.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I tried LotRO. Hated it. Aweful. aweful game.
Too slow to level up, and I mean just getting to level 17 took forever.
It has weak skills, aweful and boring combat, and the quests are extremely lame. If I have to kill one more wolf or bear or pig or spider...
Seriously, 90% of the quests so far are exactly the same, kill 5 wolfbearpigspiders, kill 10 wolfbearpigspiders.
And the game has no atmosphere.
and there are too few players.
I bought the lifetime subscription. What a waste of money.

Here's a free mmorpg that blows LOTRO out of the water.
http://shaiya.aeriagames.com/

You can play normal mode up to level 50 easily and without too much grind without buying anything from the item mall. It is so much more fun that LotRO. Lots of players at all hours. No lag, no wait time to get on, fun play.
The only downside is you can't really take part in the big realm vs realm PvP in normal mode because you'll be going against players who are playing hard mode and are too strong for you.
You can, however, duel other normal mode players.

christian summer

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
the game that will topple blizzard's world of warcraft from dominating the mmo market will probably be blizzard's universe of starcraft or some other new mmo that blizzard comes up...

blizzard really nailed formula when wow came out 4 years ago...and they have had 4 years to refine the engine for balance and playability and add content...

and no i am not a wow player...i did play for 5 months...sucked away my life...

-c

Alternator

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
"The biggest advantage that Warhammer has over WoW competitors is its backstory. Dating back several decades, Warhammer made its name in tabletop gaming and novels."

Both Conan and Lotr can be traced back decades as well and have novels, perhaps Warhammer is making better use of its story?!

I've played Guildwars for about a week, but I only have seen glimpses of AoC and Lotr. (no knowledge of Warhammer)
I consider WoW to be the better game in terms of mechanic and aesthetic. But then I'm different to most players and enjoyed leveling my character more than playing the PvP minigames or endgame raiding.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Lotroguy[/nom]what about Lord of the Rings online? Why is it never mentioned. I know thousands of players play. Why is it left out of these stories? Mines of Moria expansion goes live Nov. 18.[/citation]

Im sure it has alot to do with the fact it sucked just as bad as all the other mmo's that came out and are mentioned in this artical. None of the mmo's mentioned in this artical are even any good. AOC died from total lack of development and bug ridden launch. All they had to do was look at vanguard to see what would happen if they did that. Course im far from a warcraft fan that game is as bad as the rest mentioned but hell its a working game now.

G

I bet their computers just couldnt handle the nextgen graphics of these newer games, and they were forced to return to WoW.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Another way to look at this is to say "most of the people who have tried both warhammer online and world of warcraft have stuck with warhammer online." (because only 46% have gone back)
Sure that has some spin on it, but so does this article.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
argh! try again

--Another way to look at this is to say "most of the people who have tried both warhammer online and world of warcraft have stuck with warhammer online." (because only 46% have gone back)--

actually, you can't conclude that at all. Of the 54% who haven't gone back, maybe only 5% stayed with WAR. Maybe some left war and went lotro, others left war and went to age of conan, and others left war and went to guild wars.
Just because they didn't go back to wow doesn't mean they stayed with war.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Never played WoW ... mostly because I wanted to enjoy a wide variety of games rather than one. However I do not doubt WoW being a great game given blizzards long track record. If Warhammer 40K comes out as an MMO then I will give that a try. Maybe.

G

I play Wow, DDO, LOTR, AOC and many others.

While WOW is the product to beat, it is far from the best of breeds in many areas.
It ran its course for me with the daily grind getting old.
I still have 2 accounts and go back for new content but the returns are short lived.

DDO has the best loot system and solo content.
AoC has the best combat and graphics. They need more content.
LOTR bored me to death.

WOW has is a vast community and years of support. But unless you raid or PVP it is nothing but a grind.

Blizzard is seriously mistaking if they feel that because people came back it is due to lack of other MMO’s to compete. An EXPAC is coming out and people can grind some new content. Eventually, it will run its course just like before.

Overall, each product fills a gap and I jump around to keep things fresh.

Blizzard should be asking the question on “why are people leaving in the first place?”

G

I too have played several MMO's: UO, DDO, and WoW to name the large ones.

UO was great for its time, and will always hold a peice of my heart, I still love the old theme music for that game ;) but seriously, EA needs to do something drastic to fix UO if they ever hope to revive it.

DDO was awesome for a pen and paper guy like me, NOT. Though it did not follow the pen and paper format, the game was a great game. It was terrible for solo content, but the elitiest like me found ways around that ;) The biggest problem with DDO was shear lack of content on release. I am the type of person that hates alts, but had 6 maxed out well geared out characters before I quit shortly before Giant's Hold was released. Had the game had more content, and not nerfed the hell out of my favorite class, I would have stayed with it. I miss it very much.

WoW though very cartoonish, after nearly 2 years of playing, I do not notice it at all. The game is the best I have encountered for solo content and has the best raiding system yet! The great many faucets that it covers is a stong selling point for me. Whether it be pvp, pve, raiding, questing, instances, socializing, rep grinding, or achievement grinding, there is aways something to do! I can not see me leaving WoW after the time invested into it. In my personal opinion, Blizzard is doing a fantastic job and keeping my free time occupied and entertained ;)

G

There are still no server merges in AoC, the game has gotten better with the last couple of patches but the damage has already been done in my opinion.

Thracian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Warhammer is a good game but it needs more polish imo.

I mean the devs at Mythic must have seen the way Blizzard handled the graphical design and presentation in WoW, it comes across as epic and bold.

Warhammers graphic design looks dated tbh. The character models are small and less detailed compared to WoW, thats not cool for a game which has good gaming potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.