FAQs of (Web) Life: Social Tech Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

roniweiss

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
If you're really wanting to look professional, you need to buy your own domain and pay for a server. Then, you can use Google Apps for free and have an e-mail address like "roni@roniweiss.com", which looks much better than *@gmail.com

G

Personally I think a gmail account makes you look cheap. Unless you work for Google, as I think you probably do, there's no good reason to have a gmail account.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]CompleteCynic[/nom]Personally I think a gmail account makes you look cheap. Unless you work for Google, as I think you probably do, there's no good reason to have a gmail account.[/citation]
Your user name describes completely the phrase I was going to use to describe your comment. It is perfect! What email account doesn't look cheap, in your opinion? A vanity URL with your own name (to me this is the equivalent of a vanity license plate, and completely unnecessary unless you a promoting your own business).

Thanks for reading,
Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Honestly when I see a gmail.com account I simply think the same as completecynic (wherever the heck his comment went). Gmail is so mainstream and so popular and so personal it simply appears to me to be cheap and unprofessional.

Then again if an employer cares so little about your actual qualifications that they are basing their opinion of you on what email provider you use you have to wonder if they are really worth working for.

It really shouldn't matter and, in the actual professional world where people work for a living it doesn't. No construction foreman will care, no Engineering firm will care, and no government agency will care (barring those requiring a security clearance).

Status
Not open for further replies.