Fast, but laggy

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I've done everything I possibly could in order to improve the performance of my aging laptop: I'm talking about a HP Pavilion Dv5110el (Turion X2 MR-72, 4GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeon HD3450 and a 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD as the primary hard drive).
After trying lots of operating systems, I found out that the lightest OS in terms of resources is Windows 7 Thin Client: right now, while I'm writing this, with Spotify playing and Chrome running with 3 tabs open, I'm only using 400MB of RAM and the CPU load is 20%. Not bad at all.
BUT.
The system still feel laggy as hell in a way it is quite hard to explain: even if Chrome starts in a second and Word lunchs almost immediately, it takes almost 2 seconds for Explorer to draw what's inside a folder and I have to wait, when I'm dragging a windows, at least 2 seconds for it to reappear in the new position. Even the letters I'm typing right now do not appear immediately on the screen. It is just not fluid at all: everything is slow and stuttered, despite the fact that I'm not using my CPU over 40% of its capacity, or that only 500MB of the RAM are occupied.

I really don't know know to do :??:

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Here's the running applications list:
WpFjs61.jpg

Here's the processes list:
OfV7XwH.jpg

Well, it seems like there's nothing in my startup folder, (C:\Users\Tommaso\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) but I can show you the items that automatically start using msconfig or Ccleaner.
b5xbDAB.jpg

As you can see, only the antivirus software and the Synaptic software (need it for the touchpad gestures) are enabled

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

How do I do that? I turned off the Chrome update service, just like the Java and Flash ones, but what else I can do?