FBI: Check For DNS Changer or Lose Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBL

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Avira couldn't remove tdss infection in my PC. I had to use TDSS Killer and Combofix to completely clean up.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ok, is it just me or did the government waste a ton of money here?

All they needed to do was host a website with good instructions on how to fix your DNS, then make all DNS requests coming into these fake servers point to that website; rather than keeping a fake DNS server on life support for a year and delaying the inevitable blackout for people that don't know any better.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The FBI is now calling on web surfers to check their PC or Mac for the DNS Changer trojan before July 9, or else lose access to the Internet.
What happened to Macs, I thought they where worry free when it came to this type of stuff, and what about Linux, Oh wait no need their is none(very few) of this type of stuff in Linux land, cause people have too much respect for Tux.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
first time that I heard of this.
so... how do I know if my computer (or any other computer that I might "know") is infected?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
When I hover my mouse over the links provided in this "article" it reads:
"housecall.trendmicro.com"

something smells fishy.

MKBL

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]MKBL[/nom]Avira couldn't remove tdss infection in my PC. I had to use TDSS Killer and Combofix to completely clean up.[/citation]
Forgot to mention that Avira detected the TDSS infection. It just couldn't remove what it found. Weird.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Meanwhile, Linux and BSD users in the USA wonder why their tax dollars are being spent to support broken Apple and Microsoft software. Techno-nanny state?

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Meanwhile, Linux and BSD users in the USA wonder why their tax dollars are being spent to support broken Apple and Microsoft software. Techno-nanny state?[/citation]

Because criminal activities target those systems?

G

Am I the only one who gets their DNS server settings from my Internet Service Provider's DHCP?

They really could not return a page, "Your system has been compromised, please use one of these trusted providers for a fix"?

So, instead we maintain DNS services without the users knowledge so they still merrily browse the web not knowing they have malware on their PC. Are we really providing the public a service by putting a bandaid on a bigger issue? Sorry - I guess that sound exactly the way the government works!

Eman25th

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]sounds like something the MPAA and FBI cooked up together[/citation]
yeah i don't really feel like just letting anyone scan my computer.

G

If my PC is infected then I'm probably looking at a carefully crafted clone of tomsfluff.com with an extra article injected that prompts me to visit a site (www.dcwg.org) where I can run something that will "scan and clean" my PC into a worse state than it's already in. What to do?

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]When I hover my mouse over the links provided in this "article" it reads:"housecall.trendmicro.com"something smells fishy.[/citation]

Seems someone screwed up the links when the last one was added.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Seems someone screwed up the links when the last one was added.[/citation]

Actually looking at the page source, it looks like they just put that one link and linked all the links into one link...

Linkception.

Bananaman8910

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Here ya go folks! Let the threat of losing your internet service persuade you to allow a government website to scan your computer! Then, sign up for a social networking site to willingly give them every other bit of information about you! Don't worry, they would never abuse such information.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
heh.
I dunno about you. But I must've reinstalled windows at least a hundred times since 2007....

And my mac's just sit there collecting dust so those are good too.

^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.