FCC Adding Video, Texting to Next-Gen 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
hmm there is some potential in this. Although are they also going to improve the ability to locate where the cell phone and user is at if receiving video and/or texts? (i didn't see anything about this, although it is possible i overlooked it in the article.)

now I know there a lot of cell phones with gps, but not all phones with texting and video abilities do. So only triangulating between towers is an option but that only works so well in its current form.

chmilz1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Curious to see, right off the bat, how many morons txt a picture of their wang to 911, and it gets traced back and they get charged :p

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
This makes me happy. :)
I hope they fully exploit the usage.
I've only dialed 911 once, and I wish I had a phone that could have taken videos. Instead of spending 15 minutes explaining what's happening, and by the time they get there they're already gone, show them and have them instantly know my location via my gps.

illegalnaut

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
This is going to make things very complicated for public safety personel. I'm both a police officer and a 911 dispatcher, and I can tell you it's extremely hard to get details from someone who is able to speak with you, let alone how difficult it would be to get ppl to give info through text. I'm the first to want the latest and greatest technology and use it when I'm out on the streets, but I really hope they think this through and everything it's going to bring. Last thing I want is to see someone bumping uglies live through 911...

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
It is difficult to communicate effectively through texts, but it would be very helpful in say, a hostage situation, where you can't really talk on the phone.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It is good to have but discourage it's use unless you are in an emergency where you cant talk.

And if it turns out to be a useless text, then upon investigation, the community will reserve the right to force you to eat an entire habanero pepper.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]hmm there is some potential in this. Although are they also going to improve the ability to locate where the cell phone and user is at if receiving video and/or texts? (i didn't see anything about this, although it is possible i overlooked it in the article.)now I know there a lot of cell phones with gps, but not all phones with texting and video abilities do. So only triangulating between towers is an option but that only works so well in its current form.[/citation]
Yep first of five steps "the commission will develop location accuracy mechanisms for NG911,"

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Sounds complicated.

Your expense in a phone probably will vary for the use of course but of it at least is to say when making a call more options are availible or open for use.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
With these low data caps and obscene overages from our "beloved" rape-carriers I think I rather call ;) hehe

On a serious note, it would probably be good, but knowing the phone companies this will only give them another option we can't disable to charge us for just like regular 911...

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"The unfortunate truth is that the capability of our emergency-response communications has not kept pace with commercial innovation – has not kept pace with what ordinary people now do every day with communications devices.

If private companies operated 911 and were competing for your business imagine the innovation that would happen. But if your the governement and your employees are fat and happy why innovate?

The fact is anything the government can do private companies can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.