FCC Allowing Hollywood to Disable Analog Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
They do realize that "piracy" isn't coming from this?
No release group uses the analog out for create their releases.

They are trying to stop piracy by disabling options that pirates dont use.

sure it may stop joe average from recording his shows..but thats what? 1% of the piracy of movies and such on the grand scale?

All they are going to do is upset many many end users that is trying to do it, while not stopping the people that's actually doing the large scale piracy.

Just like game DRM tactics, it drives off legit users, while not making a dent in the real problem because they are so clueless on whats going on in the real piracy world.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The analog connection worked better on my old TV than HDMI through the PVR.
For some reason, HDMI looked like crap coming form my PVR.

Last I checked, all shows available for on demand viewing were out on DVD for several months to a year for my old provider (granted, Canadian).

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
It amazes me that the MPAA continues to exist when they continually use asinine tactics like this. They fail horribly and only serve to disrupt legit users. If anything the MPAA makes piracy more appealing. Remind me the last time someone who downloaded a movie had to sit through all of the anti-piracy warnings that is on all DVDs these days.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Stop Supporting these clowns. They havent produced much worth buying in years and the stuff that was worth buying wasnt good enough to outweigh all the BS they impose and try to impose on us. Its just not worth it. Its time most of these movie companies and music companies for that matter go bankrupt.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It has been nearly 2 years since I bought a Blu-Ray or DVD... I just don't care that passionately about movies. However, I do admit to enjoying the occasional independent mini-movie on YouTube from time to time.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
hando some of us put our dvd's in our pc's and extract movie without!!!! the piracy adds becasue lets face it they are just promoting to people who dont know about it how easy it is

and then watch it through my htpc

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Did they not notice that movies get online before they even hit theaters? You would think that they would have noticed by now that the more difficult they make it for people to watch movies, the less paying customers they get. Study after study after study have shown that movie piracy boosts movie sales. As much as they complain about piracy killing their industry, they can't hide the FACT that their revenue increases year after year!

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Some of this reads like they can disable your TV. It's just DRM allowing them to prevent output to analog channels and has been coming for a long time. Bluray players will eventually stop supporting 1080p on their analog outputs and require HDMI which was the plan all along.

[citation][nom]Hando567[/nom]Remind me the last time someone who downloaded a movie had to sit through all of the anti-piracy warnings that is on all DVDs these days.[/citation]

That was a "feature" of DVD to entice movie makers who don't need to place those warnings but are encouraged to by their own industry. It would be nice if they listened to the consumers who want to skip past those locked-in viewing warnings and get to the content they paid for. I haven't seen as much of it on streaming and on demand videos which is surprising considering how much the industry wants to move towards that model.

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]...The analog connection worked better on my old TV than HDMI through the PVR.[/citation]

It's a problem with a low quality PVR or low quality TV set, most likely the PVR. The HDMI connection sends a signal to the TV what the quality is (upconverted 1080p is the same as real 1080p) so the TV does not perform any upconverting on that signal, which it does on the older analog signal. The PVR upconverts for you and not very well.

Everything in my living room (besides the Wii which doesn't support it) is HDMI connected and looks great but would look just as good with the analog connections in most cases. The HDMI allows me to make use of an auto-sense switch so my girlfriend doesn't have to figure out the "input" button on the TV remote. :)

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
All this is going to do is make it ever harder from the average guy to hook up his TV.

No one has captured from analogue since the Pentium 4 made it possible to decrypt fast enough.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Just like in the game arena, the best way to play your game uninterrupted is to get the pirated version. Movies will now be the same way. They aren't stopping piracy they are pushing legitimate users towards it. They are very counter productive, whom ever is running the show must be a 90 year old czar trying to hold onto the last shred of power they have. Idiots!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]They do realize that "piracy" isn't coming from this?No release group uses the analog out for create their releases.They are trying to stop piracy by disabling options that pirates dont use.sure it may stop joe average from recording his shows..but thats what? 1% of the piracy of movies and such on the grand scale?All they are going to do is upset many many end users that is trying to do it, while not stopping the people that's actually doing the large scale piracy.Just like game DRM tactics, it drives off legit users, while not making a dent in the real problem because they are so clueless on whats going on in the real piracy world.[/citation]

It sure wont prevent me from ripping BRs and DVDs directly to my HDD array.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
pirates just rip using computer and convert to mkv or other. These people should do their homework or get another line of work. Seriously weak!! How muchis this elevating the price of things again. Piracy is not killing business. 90% of my games and movies are genuine, the rest I would never have bought or will inspire me to buy same or sequel(this has happened time and time again). Also double dipping with multiple releases is a real crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.