RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
FCC committee that found the deal would harm consumers

orly.jpg

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Naturally, AT&T is not pleased by the development. In an official statement, Senior Vice President for Corporate Communications Larry Solomon reached into a bag full of business-speak cliches, saying that the decision "is yet another example of a government agency acting to prevent billions in new investment and the creation of many thousands of new jobs at a time when the U.S. economy desperately needs both.

In other words...

Crying_child.jpg

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
YAY!!!
T-Mobile is soooo much cheaper.
I've been with them for like 7 or 8 years cause they always have the lowest prices.
I have Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texts and 1000 minutes on my phone and my wife's phone as well for $100.

If you ask me it's still a ripoff but it IS still a much better deal than any other phone company seems to offer.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
@Marco925 Monopoly? What are you even talking about? Sprint, Metro PCS, Verizon, Boost Mobile, and even more local and regional carriers PLUS the fact that Deutsche Telecom has stopped investing in the United States (Basically screwing existing T-Mobile subscribers). Yeah, a real GREAT idea to prevent the acquisition of the smallest national carrier and the largest. It's not like Verizon and AT&T are merging, T-Mobiles subscriber numbers are marginal in comparison to the top 3.

Also, the fact that 2 of our idiot government agecies think this is a bad idea compounds the fact they are wrong. Remember the same Department of Justice that is compiling the proceedings against the merger is the same Department of Justice that screwed up a report about MUFFINS. I have no faith in our government.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Of course AT&T is going to claim that the buyout will create jobs. They don't want to publicly admit that the restructuring of the 2 companies into 1 will in fact COST jobs as they terminate unneeded employees. Of course they'll claim that blocking the deal will prevent billions of dollars in new investments. They don't want to publicly admit that the investments that blocking the deal will prevent is investments in OTHER governments. Lets face it....based on history, AT&T is well known for shady deals, abuse of market position, extortionist fees, poor customer service, paying off government officials, and establishing a monopoly. Sorry, but AT&T is not concerned about what's best for consumers....only what's best for AT&T.

[citation][nom]Welve[/nom]@Marco925 Monopoly? What are you even talking about? Sprint, Metro PCS, Verizon, Boost Mobile, and even more local and regional carriers PLUS the fact that Deutsche Telecom has stopped investing in the United States (Basically screwing existing T-Mobile subscribers). Yeah, a real GREAT idea to prevent the acquisition of the smallest national carrier and the largest. It's not like Verizon and AT&T are merging, T-Mobiles subscriber numbers are marginal in comparison to the top 3. Also, the fact that 2 of our idiot government agecies think this is a bad idea compounds the fact they are wrong. Remember the same Department of Justice that is compiling the proceedings against the merger is the same Department of Justice that screwed up a report about MUFFINS. I have no faith in our government.[/citation]
You really should read history.... AT&T, at no point, has ever cared about what's best for consumers. AT&T has also made no attempt to fix their own network. AT&T is well known for lying. Reducing the number of nation wide carriers is NOT in the best interest of consumers to any extent. MetroPCS is a very small carrier. Boost Mobile is the pre-paid division of Nextel, which is a division of Sprint. You're also taking the only 2 national GSM carriers and merging them, giving them near total control of the GSM network in the US. That effects EVERY GSM customer in the country, whether they're an AT&T or T-Mobile customer or not. Having a monopoly on GSM is not a solution....it's a problem. AT&T has the financial means to properly expand and upgrade their network and thus far has proven a complete unwillingness to do so.

Welve

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Sykozis, I disagree, AT&T just finished an upgrade to their network and how often do you meet someone who says "I just have to have GSM over CDMI" it doesn't happen. Plus, you haven't addressed the fact that t-mobile has essentially been abandoned by its parent company, talk about a network that hasn't been upgraded, HSPA+ vs 4G anyone? And there are no plans in the future to expand. T-Mobile is hemorrhaging subscribers, so merger or not I doubt they continue to exist much longer and then what do you have? AT&T, a loaded company, that can just buy up GSM the easy way. I agree, the situation isn't the best, but this is a no-win if you are t-mobile customer.

G

Welve, way to spin what's going on about tmobile:

"t-mobile has essentially been abandoned by its parent company"

How long do you think the AT&T/T-Mo talks have been going on for? The reason why DT likely dropped funding for T-Mobile is due to what was the potential merger at the time they dropped it.

"HSPA+ vs 4G anyone"

HSPA+ on T-Mo was out and functional long before the other 4G technologies. Again, they likely stopped development due to the merger talks- it makes no sense to invest in new 4G infrastructure if you're about to be bought into a 4G infrastructure. The likelihood is, now that the merger may fail, they're looking at further infrstaructure investment.

" T-Mobile is hemorrhaging subscribers, so merger or not I doubt they continue to exist much longer"

The outflux of subscribers happened as a result of the merger talks. And if the merger fails, AT&T owes T-Mobile a lot of money and concessions.

Most of your points against T-Mobile were direct results of merger talks, and part of the deal is that if the merger does fail, T-Mobile is owed tons of concessions so that they can keep their place in the market. You'll also likely see a renewed interest and investment from DT.

Bonehed

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
T-mobile blows, they advertise 4G yet you only get 2G in certain areas. I know other people who have gone to the BBB to try and get a resolution to only be turned down but the BBB is a joke to. I can't wait till December 8th comes around so I can leave T-mobile. Screw those pigs!

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Its funny how companies try to put negative spin on things when they don't get their way. And its really funny how some retarded people with no brains beleive it. I just can't beleive that there is so many retards. OF coarse being a technician, I do see my fair share. Half the time you can't beleive the news, as companies and government are always trying to spin things and spread propaganda. They think if they get enough people beleiving the lie, then it must be true. Anyways I am glad the FCC had the balls to stand up for the people this time, and not get paid off to make a bad decission.

IN YOUR FACE AT&T

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
No, isht, it's not in the consumers interest to reduce competition. Verizon , Sprint, T-Mobile seem to be getting along splendidly to roll out LTE. AT&T instead I don't think you are going to disappear if you don't get T-Mobile, you'll pony up and pay out your own money to get LTE done. And we will have 4 LTE networks to choose from.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
If the government wants to produce jobs, it will not allow ATT to buy T-Mobile.

Exhibit A, ATT buys T-Mobile

ATT reduces the need to purchase more LTE hardware, acquiring T-Mobiles
ATT reduces staff by downsizing on redundancy in T-Mobile branch
T-Mobile share holders prosper, it does not improve the US economy
Prices for LTE service go up

Exhibit B
ATT is denied
Consumers have more competitors to choose from, and theoretically pay less for LTE
LTE has to stay competative thusly can not raise it's prices
ATT has to buy more hardware of it's own, thusly, LTE manufacturers demand increases, which may lead to more jobs
ATT has to install it's own LTE hardware ,increasing work load, which may lead to more jobs,

I do not see at all how ATT buying T-Mobile helps the economy. It helps ATT that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.