FCC: Let's Use One Rating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
im pretty sure its not that hard to monitor what your kids watch, play, and talk about via cell phones. this is just for the parents who are too lazy to be actual parents. get off your on damned phone, and spend more time with your kids, dont expect everybody else to take care of them for you

leafblower29

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Parents worry not only about the TV in the den, but about the computer in the kitchen, the gaming console in the basement, and the mobile phones in their kids’ pockets,

If they have to worry about that stuff they then they must not be very good parents.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
While a unified system may be nice, it's not like the game rating system is hard to understand. Seriously, it takes all of maybe 5 minutes to understand what E, T, and M mean. I take that back, it takes about 5 seconds, because below that it says "Everyone", "Teen", or "Mature". Mature is the only rating that could be considered ambiguous, except it's usually accompanied by "17+".

If you want to push for Cell phone software to adopt the same rating system as video games I'm all for it, but considering the sheer volume of such applications, it would be difficult to implement.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
FCC is an antiquated system that made scene when there was maybe 15 television/radio stations but is useless and if anything harmful as long as people have a wide selection.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Why?
Not like I ever checked on them anyways...

I have only been asked for ID to buy something twice anyways...
Tequilla (on my 18th birthday, sadly they didn't like my ID), and a game (I'm 6'4, 155 lbs, I'm growing a beard, and the game is rated 16+... fucking idiot).

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
They'll probably do some sort of study and issue a report. Then the whole thing will be forgotten. The politicians are just trying to make themselves look good.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]leafblower29[/nom]If they have to worry about that stuff they then they must not be very good parents.[/citation]
On the contrary being the father of 3 kids I can say it is part of being a good parent to monitor what your kids are doing at all times. Since they are the parents responsibility till they turn 18. You train them the best you can but, since they have minds of there own sometimes they get into stuff they shouldn't if a parent is not watching then bad things can happen or they may be influenced by things that are not good.

I am not sure I agree with the FCC doing this. If this was a non government entity that was supported by each industry maybe but the government ALWAYS messes stuff up.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
This is genius and I always wondered why this was never done 20 years ago. I guess I come from the perspective that my parents are clueless about video games, but would understand that a 12 year old shouldn't play an "R" rated video game.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
FAWK TEH FCC!

Parents who think that videogames, music lyrics and movies will ruin their "innocent" children shouldn't be allowed to have kids anyway!

FCC REGULATE SOME FR@GGIN PARENTS INSTEAD!

- sorry for yelling :S

wspinden

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Haha I was wondering the same thing... 6'4" 155??? I wouldn't blame them... I don't think Ive seen a grown man that small

G

this makes sense.

Yea, it's ultimately up to the parents to monitor what their kids experience, but how's an uninformed parent to know whether or not a game is suitable for their children if they don't understand the esrb? Not all parents play games, but mostly everyone is familiar with movies and their rating system.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
all right! the FCC saves the day again. we're safe from unregulated sex and violence in our media! in the age of google any parent or potential parent who doesn't look up information on their kids' media diet is a moron and needs to leave some specif (and according to the FCC inappropriate ) body parts with their doctor.

so fuck the fcc fuck them right in the fucking neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.