FCC Releases Internet Speed Test Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
They will have to market the heck out of this in order for people to use it. Everyone I know just defaults to www.speedtest.net.
1. Now that they have this tool out, will the FCC actually listen to any feedback and pursue ISP's who don't live up to their claims?
2. Is this just a study of some sort? Are the FCC not allowed to use existing databases like Speedtest.net?
3. Doesn't it say all over an ISP's EULA that the speeds are "UP TO ***Mbps" and that throughput "MAY BE LESS" under extreme usage?

Seems like a government spending project to me. Then again, most people need something to complain about, and refuse to RTFM...

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
already see a problem with it.
its speed isn't accurate.

http://www.speedtest.net/ shows me at 25mb down on various server. which is correct.

this test clocks on at 8. so they are gathering incorrect data?

Dreasconse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Seems like a stand alone app would be more reliable than something using flash, but what servers does it connect to and where?

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]In a few months, ATT will be sued by FCC for not providing speeds it claims in has.[/citation]

You are probably right, and then we'll get passed along the cost and/or people will lose jobs.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
How come when I click on the "show" button, it never works anymore?

I've noticed this since a few days ago. Maybe there has already been a discussion about it?

I've tried it on both firefox and IE and both browsers have the same problem.

Sorry to post off-topic, but this is bugging me.

G

i just ran it on my cablevision/optimum. full speeds all the time like normal. just use speedtest.net. actually load the page within a few secs, unlike this government garbage

Kilo11

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I work for an ISP's IHD, if your not getting the internet connection speed that you signed up for you should really contact your IHD. All ISP's usually have a requirement that your connection speed be within 70-85% of your provisioned speed (the speed you signed up for). If your not within that range then they should issue a repair ticket to have someone look into it.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
About time someone steps in gives a standard tool we can measure with. I have questioned Comcast's rated speeds for some time. I am told I have 12 megabit downloads. By my own real world tests, I'll see that speed every once in a while, the other 99% of the time I see a steady 8 megabits. I have their rated speeds in theory, but it stretches the "up to" motto quite a bit.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
seems pretty accurate to me, though the 2 different engines gave different results (probably due to the server location, etc) but they were relatively all in the same ballpark as speedtest.com

Status
Not open for further replies.