Feature phone questions

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I need to get a new phone (this is with ATT, through Amazon Wireless) and have been looking at a couple of feature phones. The appeal of a feature phone is not having to pay for a data plan, but what if you do use a feature like email or try to get an app? Are you charged a ridiculous amount or does it go VERY slowly or what? Also, are there background applications that are bound to use data even if you don't have a plan? Then what? I assume there are ways around this, though (such as turning options off and not checking the internet).

I really just need a phone and can't afford a data plan. My wife and I are already on an ATT plan so that won't change. Based on what's available, I keep adding luxury items to what I'm looking for. In order of importance I would like:

Good call quality
mp3 player
watch movies (from PC, never youtube or the like)
3.5mm headphone jack (why is this not standard?)
free maps (att maps, I believe, I don't care about the navigator features)

That's about it. I don't ever use social networks, don't text, don't surf the internet, etc.

The HTC freestyle seems to do the above list but I've read some horrible reviews about call quality and errors in general -- can anyone comment on this? Second to that is the Pantech Laser which seems to do that list except for the 3.5mm jack.Can someone think of a better alternative?

If you want a phone to play movies, you will need a smartphone which means you will almost certainly need to add a data plan to connect one to your phone service.

If you use data outside of your plan, the charges are pretty high. You probably want to be asking these questions to AT&T.