Feedback on my customized laptop before I buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Here's what I got
1) change ram to dual channel 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB (dual channel can provide up to an 80% increase in ram throughput)
2) I would add the 120GB Crucial M5 Series mSATA3 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C) [+$100.00] (this will provide very fast boot and install times, it'll make the computer feel "snappier")

That's all I got

slayvoff

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
After having the MSI GT70 0ND coming in at 2+ inches thick and almost 9 pounds, I want thin and slick. Didn't think it was possible to have that for a gaming laptop as I was trying to customize one, which is why I said I decided on the Sager because it was the best I could find. then came the GS60 and aorus which I didn't find originally because I was set on customizing my own. But these look good. But my current MSI has had many issues, and the Aorus looks really cool so that is why I am heavily leaning towards that now.

But ya overall I want a slick, portable laptop great for gaming but I am also in school so it cant be bulky especially like my current MSI which is in for repairs for the 4th time.

Also my budget has increased since then, as my parents are willing to put in $2,000 towards my machine.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Again, it's all about your priorities. Slick, portable, non-bulky, great gaming laptop - without placing a definite value or range on each of these criteria, this could describe every system we've discussed. If you're going to school on a football scholarship, 20 lbs or less could be your definition of an ultra-light. To me a 17" laptop is an awkward size, regardless of thickness or weight - unless you don't plan to carry it around, in which case why are you bothering looking at anything smaller?

Do you want performance, regardless of size, weight, heat, noise, cost?
Do you want portability, regardless of performance?
Do you want value, regardless of performance, portability?
I can go on, and on...and on.

Bottom line is, if you want the best all-around PC, go back to your first choice. If you want a laptop that is the best in a certain category, be prepared to make sacrifices in some or all of it's other aspects.

slayvoff

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I value thinness/lightness and performance most. 1 inch or thinner, 7 pounds or less. I also highly value a laptop that is aesthetically pleasing. The Razer Blade pro inch definitely takes the cake on that category, but not for a 2700+ pricetag on the 17 inch and 14 is too small for me. I personally find the Aorus logo pretty sweet and original, and it's design pleases my eye.

I know thinner laptops get warmer and that is fine with me. Reviews say that the Aorus doesn't get too hot and has a good cooling system. I am a pretty big guy so the 17 inch doesn't feel big for me to carry around. I carry my MSI to class and its a beast.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
They're a listed distributor for Aorus, but the specs at the linked page don't match the specs listed on the Aorus website. The GPUs are correct but the CPU is listed as an i7-4710 - supposed to be the i7-4860HQ. I'd call and ask for details.

slayvoff

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
ya i'll do that in the morning. xoticpc sells the x7 as well. nice thing about that is there is no tax. amazon has tax, but I have prime so I also get $8 overnight shipping. So for amazon + tax i can have it tuesday. For xotic + no tax, who knows when. ahhh

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you. Also, you may want to go ahead and select one of the posts above as "Best Answer". That way this thread will show as "Solved". You can continue to post to the thread though.