file corruption issue


Dec 5, 2013
0down votefavorite

I was taking pictures in a wedding and when I was trying to copy them to see them in my PC I had the horrible surprise that I wasn't able to view about 40% of them. First attempt was only a double click on the image, then I tried Photoshop, illustrator, paint, windows Live Photo gallery but all result in saying there was something wrong with the pictures.

File may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted or something similar`

I was using a Canon Rebel t5i and a SDHC card 32 GB SanDisk

I noticed something when I was taking the pictures and trying to review finding out the QUESTION MARK that show in the display when the pictures are in a different format or something. I didn't pay attention to it because I could see some of them so I was thinking that it was going to be fixable later on.

At first I thought they were recoverable with one of the following software's, but after trying everything I'm about to give up. I've been running the folder with all kind of software like (Rescue pro, File Repair, Stellar, Stellar Phoenix, Recuva, etc., I've asking the tech support in SanDisk, Rescue pro and others. the files in some of them won't even show up. some of them do but when I try to fix them is like they don't exist or appear to be empty.

The pictures appear to be there but I can't view the content.

any suggestion on how to be able to view them?


Dec 5, 2013
Hello williamzubet,

It could be a file permission issue. I would suggest following these instructions to rewrite the file permissions:

a. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer
b. Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu
c. Click on Security tab
d. Click on “Advance”
e. Now click on Owner tab in Advance Security Settings for User windows
f. Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then, click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok. You can even click on administrator here, if you are logged in as an administrator.
g. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on sub containers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)
h. Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed
i. Now Owner name must have changed
j. Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows
k. Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder

Grant Permissions to everyone (or your user account) -
a. Go to C: and then click right click on folder and choose properties
b. Then go to security tab and click Edit then click Add => Advanced
c. If you click on advanced now click on Find Now and choose everyone and click Ok
d. Then again click Ok and now click on Allow => Full control => Ok


Dec 5, 2013
I appreciate your time and effort, unfortunately it didn't work, everything seemed to be fine. I followed your steps but I think the issue is more related to the corruption of the file itself or some kind of damage related to the data when the pictures were taken and being "saved to the SD card"

here is the thing, the SD card had some corrupted pictures and some not, I was able to save about 60% to my PC but I couldn't preview the rest of them, even in the LCD. I didn't realized how bad was this until the end of the event... I've tried all kind of software to recover them or retrieve them but nothing appears to find any data on them (the other 40%) even though they have a size on the disk. I guess the SD is corrupted, that's why I tried all the software but the point is to save the other 40% of picts any suggestions?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Digital Cameras 5
H Digital Cameras 1
V Digital Cameras 2
S Digital Cameras 1
Y Digital Cameras 1
M Digital Cameras 10
A Digital Cameras 4
B Digital Cameras 2
P Digital Cameras 1
T Digital Cameras 2
club27 Digital Cameras 1
T Digital Cameras 4
D Digital Cameras 1
F Digital Cameras 1
D Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 1
Q Digital Cameras 2
N Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 1
johnbil Digital Cameras 1