Final Fantasy 13 to Use "Nearly 100%" of PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Because PS3 is not region coded, all of the languages must be on every disc. Since a majority of the audio is uncompressed it takes up a huge amount of space.

The Xbox on the other hand is region coded and therefore languages are selected for each region. For that reason many of the titles which are available on both consoles only require 1 disc for each. And this is coming from someone who owns all three consoles for this generation.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Compared to the storage capacity of the PS3 you'd be lucky if you could get three pages of spoken words of uncompressed language on the 360 compared to the PS3. 4GB vs 50GB. Nice try though.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Just because they use all the components doesn't mean they use them well (especially if this is their first ps3 game). even if they are getting "100% cpu usage" there will still be optimizations and better ways to do things that will show up later in the life cycle of the console. Besides, all the games that have "stressed" the system so far have only been 720p, it doesn't matter how much tech you have going on, if your rendering at the equivalent of 1024x768 on a 40"+ screen, its gonna look pretty average (like gta for instance). That screen shot looks pretty awesome though :)

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
this was one game i bought my PS3 for...that and the blu-ray player...i do wish i bought the original 60gb version instead of 80gb but at least it has software backward compatibilty...it's not total loss but i'm still mad at Sony for getting rid of PS2 compatibility...

i'm a fan, not a huge but somewhat big, of Final Fantasy series and i'm excited for XIII and VS XIII...

for all this hype and delays, it better be worth it...i don't care about the capabilities of the console...as i have both 360 and PS3...as long as the game's great with storyline, characters, and music, all's right with the world...

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]Compared to the storage capacity of the PS3 you'd be lucky if you could get three pages of spoken words of uncompressed language on the 360 compared to the PS3. 4GB vs 50GB. Nice try though.[/citation]
uhmmm....DVDs are dual layer...at 8.7GB...

and if you can tell differences in GTA IV between 360 and PS3, you must have eyes of microscope...uncompressed audio isn't taken full advantage unless you have right equipment...

don't be a such wanker fanboy....

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
This may well be very good news, but at the same time, I'm skeptical. It may use all of its "power" because of inefficient coding, or it really is pushed to the limits.

I remember EPIC Games said that about Gears of War pushing the XBOX 360 to its full potential and there were basically no room for improvement. Look at Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War 2, they sure as hell look better than Gears of War 1.

I bet there's going to be new games that can push the PS3 hardware even further and that this is just marketing hype.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'll use the Rocks in a glass analogy.

You can fill a glass with rocks, you can say that you've fill all of the glass that you can. But I can take pebbles, and fill in those gaps. Then I'll say I filled the glass all I can. But then you could fill in those gaps with sand, and I could fill the gaps in the sand with water.

Who is filling the glass "100%"? You can always use the space better.

boju

Distinguished
Even though i've never played FF, it'll be interesting to investigate their means of almost 100% potential. Hoping they mean graphics + sound will kickass and not just reaching almost 100% capacity of a BD j/k =]

On a side note, i am more in favour of Grand Turismo. They've taken long enough -_- sheesh now there’s a game THAT should be using the total 100% ;P

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]Compared to the storage capacity of the PS3 you'd be lucky if you could get three pages of spoken words of uncompressed language on the 360 compared to the PS3. 4GB vs 50GB. Nice try though.[/citation]

You uh... know there's dual-layer DVDs, right? You're comparing a dual-layered BD with what's close to a single-layer DVD. A standard DVD holds 4.7GB, a dual-layer DVD holds approximately just over 9GB. If it's worth the $400 upgrade to buy a PS3 just to play a game without switching disks, then I wonder what you'd do without a remote.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Hitokage[/nom]A standard DVD holds 4.7GB, a dual-layer DVD holds approximately just over 9GB.[/citation]
Lol, you corrected someone with the wrong information. A Dual-Layer DVD holds 8.5GB of Data, which is less than 9GB, not more.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Why did they only put 256MB of ram on the PS3? That won't last 1 decade.[/citation]
Technically there's 512MB. 256 for system, and 256 for graphics. XBOX 360 has 512 as well, but it's shared RAM, which sucks ona cumputer, but is great for consoles since developers write for the hardware and this gives them freedom to use the RAM for whatever they want.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Lol, you corrected someone with the wrong information. A Dual-Layer DVD holds 8.5GB of Data, which is less than 9GB, not more.[/citation]
Yeah, well a 100GB harddrive doesn't really store 100GB, so why don't you write a fucking letter to Seagate while you're at it.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]Yeah, well a 100GB harddrive doesn't really store 100GB, so why don't you write a fucking letter to Seagate while you're at it.[/citation]
Then what does it matter that he was off by a few GB?

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I'll use the Rocks in a glass analogy.You can fill a glass with rocks, you can say that you've fill all of the glass that you can. But I can take pebbles, and fill in those gaps. Then I'll say I filled the glass all I can. But then you could fill in those gaps with sand, and I could fill the gaps in the sand with water.Who is filling the glass "100%"? You can always use the space better.[/citation]

Agreed, just because a programmer is tapping out the resources to run their software doesn't mean their taking the system to its limits. A better programmer could possibly render the same game using less resources without sacrificing quality.

cl_spdhax1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
It is probably a optimizations problems or the hardware, but I seen some games struggle with their framerates even at 720p. Metal Gear Solid, GTA 4, Killzone 2 and even the new slow-pace Resident Evil 5 I just bought have noticeable drops. So, I'm 100% there were games that pushed the outdated hardware to the limit. Still, I think it's probably one of the best console for the home right now.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Lol, you corrected someone with the wrong information. A Dual-Layer DVD holds 8.5GB of Data, which is less than 9GB, not more.[/citation]
You know the difference is redundant, right?

You do know that FF13 will be 3GB of game data and 47GB of pre rendered HD video?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Master Exon[/nom]You do know that FF13 will be 3GB of game data and 47GB of pre rendered HD video?[/citation]
All the cutscenes are real time rendered, just like every other PS3 game this generation. The biggest space is going to be eaten by textures and sound. MGS4 was close to breaking the 50GB mark, and none of it's cutscenes were pre-rendered.

Status
Not open for further replies.