Final Fantasy VII is Fastest Selling PSN DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
If Sony would get off their rumps and get the right company to churn out a decent sequel to, or even a revamped version of, FF VII, it just might give them the app needed to get some more market power. Wasn't this what everyone who bought a PS3 initially was practically begging for anyway?

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Agreed. If somewhere on this planet, a platform boasted a modern remake of Final Fantasy VII, I would purchase that system by any means possible.

I was really happy with Advent Children (especially when they released the Complete/longer version!) though. 'Twas a memorable way to revisit that world...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Sega was stupid for loosing FF7 to the PSX. That game helped swell the momentum that was already building for the cheap and easy to develop for PSX. The tables have turned on Sony though as developers are choosing to develop games for their cheaper and easier to program competitors.

G

I do not believe that Sega ever had FF7. Therefore, they are probably not stupid for "loosing" it. The Neo-Geo was stoopid for losing Mega Man X to Parker Bros., though...

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, I think we've all been asking for a FF VII Remake for quite a while now. The producer said however, some time ago, that it would never be remade, because the time and manpower required to do such a feat would be over ten years. I have no idea what he meant by that.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I think i read that the producer meant that it wouldn't be remade because they would need the entire original team for it which is silly as long as you have the original director, producer, etc. You don't really need the same coders right? Either way FF& is still a great game.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Its funny that the cinematic CAN now be render in real time with ease.

Why would they remake it when they know there are TONS of hardcore FF fans willing to buy it over and over again every time a new system comes out(low cost).

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
This remake would also bring FF7 to alot of new ppl who never even played this incredible game, im ashamed to say I never finished the game, but still prefer it over all other FF's, but only a bit more than FF10 (excluding having a stupidly easy ending with damage limit break)
But yea, I would buy a PS3 for this, and GT5, and for blu ray, and for inFamous, and for owning a system with more cores than my pc lol

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I don't see why it would really take that long. They already have hi-res versions of every main character and a ton of generics from Advent Children. Plus they have a much better version of Midgar. It's a guaranteed cash cow. Sony and Square can't go wrong on this one. If it looks as good as FFXIII and stays true to the original, you'll have all the original fans (HUGE fan base) plus all the newbies. Everybody wins!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Why would Sony or Square Enix spend the money to develop this game on the PS3 when they can rake in 100% pure profit selling it on the PSN. Excuse my math but 100,000 copies at $9.99 is just a hair below a clean one million dollars and I'm sure there are more "copies" to be sold as stories like this get out and more people realize the game is even for sale.

Just don't see a business sense in remaking this game when they are rolling in dough from it right now without spending a dime.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Square would have to do it real time which would require time, but they couldn't put the high-res versions in except for the CG cut scenes. They could base the real time off of the movie models. You also have to remember that part of the fanbase would complain about things like it doesn't have the same feel like the original and stuff like that. Square has an excuse for almost everything.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The article fails to mention you can play this on your PSP. I find that a far greater selling point since I now have a game with days worth game play in my pocket. If only I could sync my save games so I can switch to the PS3 when I get home.

Also, why not mention the release coincided with announcements from E3? Seems whenever anything that is announced at E3 you tag it in (not a blaming the oversight on fanboyism just asking where was it this time?) Even the tech demo was part of a previous E3 showing off the power of the PS3 (rendered in realtime by the PS3).

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
they already did much of the hi-def design and updated character sprites that the whole process would be considerably shortened. I kinda think that this is an ace up their sleeves saved only for the most desperate times.

Ps3 might be lagging but Square is still steaming hot.

G

I'd buy a PS3 for this and this alone. Already own a GOOD Blu Ray player and a 360 and a Wii.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The problem lies in the way the revamping would be done: the 3D environments were limited to battle scenes (extremely simple with flat 2D background), SGI pre-rendered backgrounds for all RPG scenes (for a resolution of 320x200).

What would a revamped version look like?
- if 2D backgrounds are kept: they would need to be re-rendered in HD resolution, meaning that they would need to be upgraded from the original models (if those were kept) or re-done completely.
- if 2D backgrounds are replaced with real-time 3D: everything would need to be re-done and carefully tested (the amount of hidden stuff and tricks relying on camera angle in the original game was huge)

About the 2D models: although they do have high-res models of most characters and settings already, animating them would be quite difficult. The original cartoonish animation allowed some shortcuts, high-res models would require motion capture.

The original game took five years to develop (International version came out after original Japanese version and included upgrades); re-doing it all again from the ground up would easily require twice that time.

Final Fantasy VII is a HUGE game - story-wise. It's only because it used simplified graphics and mixed 2D with 3D that it could be done so 'fast'.

But, knowing that it can be played on the PS3 in its original form... Makes the console tempting.

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
I recall a certain website that once I inserted my name on a list of people asking Square do to a revamp'd FF7. Search for it guys, its a good idea.
I would neve guess they would release RPG's this good in the PSN. I thought they wouldn't ask too much for it - $10 certainly is nice - and the game might require months to be finished, probably pushing back other gamesales. But hey, giveme Parasite Eve, Xenogears and all the others FF's and I would give all my money, my shoes, heart, one eye, two legs and my soul to Sony anytime!!!

And remake that FF7 Square! We need it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.