Firefox 5 announced for Q2 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Firefox 4 will be released within four month after the final release of Firefox 4."
Typos much?
:D

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]gue[/nom]"Firefox 4 will be released within four month after the final release of Firefox 4."Typos much?[/citation]
Either they messed up on the title or they messed up on that sentence...from what I gather, they are going to begin releasing newer versions of firefox faster than ever before, thus Firefox 5 is being released just a few months after 4.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
haha I just commented on the last article I read saying how it was the fourth badly written article I had seen in the last day, and then right after that I look upon this:

"Firefox 4 will be released within four month after the final release of Firefox 4."

...make that 5.

ares1214

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Well thats dumb. FF4 is still in the beta stage and they are already getting ready to release FF5?! What can they possibly do in a few months that they cant just update?

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]scatrdfew[/nom]To err is human...[/citation]

To err over and over and over in very quick succession is just stupid.

rutiger

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Here is a comment from Brendan Eich in the linked article.
"Cast a colder eye on your blockers. Some of them can wait for a dot
release or Firefox 5 that I do believe will be only months after 4 comes
out. We are going to a fast release cycle. It serves our users better.
To do that we have to get this touch and go done with Firefox 4."
Hey, maybe one of us can write for Tom's...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
It appears that other commenters have already pointed out the mistakes in this article, so I won't add my voice to the chorus...
I'm using Firefox 4.0b10 right now, and it's excellent. There's only one bug I regularly notice, and it's just a minor annoyance. Sunspider tests on my laptop show it be be a tad faster than Chrome 10 on javascript! But the elephant in the room is IE 9, with the RC is due tomorrow. If IE 9 bests Firefox 4, hopefully Mozilla will have a solid answer with its quick release of Firefox 5.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Whaaaaaaaaaat? So, are they trying to turn into Chrome... which is about 3 years old, it its up to version 8 - yet looks almost the same as version 1.0. Opera 11 just came out, but they've been on the market well over 12 years. Opera has gone through more changes in the past 2 years than Chrome.

So they might as well pull a page out of Nvidia and jump into FireFox9...

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Whaaaaaaaaaat? So, are they trying to turn into Chrome... which is about 3 years old, it its up to version 8 - yet looks almost the same as version 1.0. [/citation]
If the title is not a typo, then this does indeed look like a pretty sad attempt at following Chrome's pathetic versioning system. Based on this sentence:

"Mozilla's CTO, Brendan Eich, recently said that Firefox 4 will be released within four month after the final release of Firefox 4."

I would guess that the title is correct, and that the above sentence should say FF5.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I must stay that recent beta versions of FF 4 (esp. 8-10) have been a lot better, have been compatible with my add-ons and pulling me back towards FF (used FF from 2005-09 but shifted to Chrome in 2010/win 7). Chrome may be 10 in beta versions but that is just a marketing. In my usage, Chrome is getting worse in their zeal to release updates every week, and their main USP-minimal interface, clean look, better UI-is now in FF. I see myself switching increasingly back to FF (usage of FF up from say 10% in late-2010 to almost 100% over the last month).

As to NVIDIA as a side note, the numbers (in version terms) may be going up, but I have not seen a stable version after 258.96.

Status
Not open for further replies.