Firefox At Risk Due to Sneaky Microsoft Plug-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

WTF. I just looked this up in my plugins and disabled it. Don't put shit on my computer without my permission micro-dicks.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
but the critical update release last tuesday (KB974417) will fix the problem? i don't have .net FW 3.5 installed and auto update is off, so i'm safe? don't see any MS WPF in my plug-ins list. guess the cyberwar already started and i'm just collateral damage. if you're not with me, then you're against me!

G

What's the purpose of this plugin?

Surely it must do something. Please write that in Toms.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
On a side note, if you think this plug-in poses a danger, think again! Javascript poses a greater danger than this yet all browsers come with JS enabled by default. Clearly, this article or Kevin is being biased.
I can at anytime write a JS code that makes you download malicious software unintentionally when you visit my site. The same goes for this plug-in. SO what's the big deal here? Just don't visit untrusted/untested sites!

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
M$ dishes out another e corporate cock shafting.
Nice work boys. As if the general public dont already mistrust you.

At least Apple dont piss in my pocket and tell me its raining.

clickwir

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Yes yes, F microsoft for doing this. True. However it's open that anyone can just drop a file into Firefox and call it a plugin. I'm not saying I blame Mozilla Firefox, but this is a perfect example of why Firefox should take more control over what is allowed to be added and there should ALWAYS be a way to Disable or Uninstall.

clickwir

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
If you go get an addon from Firefox's repository, you get a dialog confirming you want to install it. The same should be true for something that tries to be added outside of that process. If I download Uncle Johns Widget plugin and don't have Firefox running, but it tries to alter Firefox to slip itself in... next time I start Firefox I should be asked if I want to allow it. And if I say yes, there must always be a Disable and Uninstall options. Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.