Firefox Eventually Getting Direct2D Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames,"

You can't imagine how many of the PC users I support that really believe this is possible, like in the "Olympic torch" chain letter some of them sent me last month.

Video acceleration would be a nice improvement, especially on netbooks where it matters more. Process isolation would also be great although Ubuntu 64-bit users already have that with Flash as it is a 32-bit plugin that uses nspluginwrapper so it shows up as a separate "npviewer.bin" process. Killing it solves Firefox hangs due to Flash bugs without having to kill the browser.

G

the alpha5 3,7 si much much faster than chrome, thanks to d2d

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
the nightly builds of 3.7 already use D2D and DDraw and it is very impressive if buggy, it improves the responsivness of many pages massivly including flash videos and animations, i have noticed big improvements in youtube HD videos, they render at full FPS in comparisson and suffer from no stuttering they tend to when in regular GDI mode. even thought they talk mostly about the rendering speed of pages but pages with video content and pictures become far more responsive

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Its cool that a non-MS browser is using a MS API. Still a big split though... canvas vs d2d. I think until one standard is chosen a lot of developers will avoid either except for novelty purpose.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I just have to say Kudos for the humour... and the straight, to the point last comment too.

"It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames," Mozilla warns. "Don't bother downloading nightly builds if you're unwilling to put up with problems."

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Not unexpected; this is the way IE 9 is going (though I'm almost sure to stick with Firefox no matter who gets it implemented in the final product first). I wonder if, like IE 9, Firefox 4.0 (or whatever version lands with Direct2D) will be for Vista/7 only? Perhaps Mozilla will make two versions, one using GDI+ for XP, the other using Direct2D for Vista & 7? Or maybe one version intelligently switching between the two rendering methods based on the OS and hardware? What a headache for the devs...

z0d

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Wow, 3.7 Nightly build (Minefield) does direct2d[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]the nightly builds of 3.7 already use D2D and DDraw and it is very impressive if buggy, it improves the responsivness of many pages massivly including flash videos and animations, i have noticed big improvements in youtube HD videos, they render at full FPS in comparisson and suffer from no stuttering they tend to when in regular GDI mode. even thought they talk mostly about the rendering speed of pages but pages with video content and pictures become far more responsive[/citation]
True that, esp. with the HD videos thing.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Definitely good to offload as much as possible to the GPU, hopefully GPU D2D performance will get some focus in future driver updates from both sides.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]the nightly builds of 3.7 already use D2D and DDraw and it is very impressive if buggy, it improves the responsivness of many pages massivly including flash videos and animations, i have noticed big improvements in youtube HD videos, they render at full FPS in comparisson and suffer from no stuttering they tend to when in regular GDI mode. even thought they talk mostly about the rendering speed of pages but pages with video content and pictures become far more responsive[/citation]

Are you also using the beta version of the new flash that has video GPU acceleration ? I wonder if the two of them combined will result in some sort of crash... by the way, how long will it still take for Adobe to launch the final version ? they say first half of 2010 but with all the HTML5 video fanfare going on, they might as well deliver something rock stable and fast since they are certainly taking the time to build it.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]"It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames,"You can't imagine how many of the PC users I support that really believe this is possible, like in the "Olympic torch" chain letter some of them sent me last month.[/citation]
:lol: Anyways, been running 3.7 since a1 (currently using a4), and I have to say, it's been quite stable 95% of the time. And yes, I use it as my everyday browser :lol:

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
FF 3.7 stable lol, memory issue plauge FF and Opera browsers although most of the time it's small enough for the avg user to get used to it and ignore it.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Firefox is beggining to show it's weight and age with these pitufully behind schedules. Admittedly, I'm an utter hypocrite in that respect.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Where is the OpenGL love? would make more sense to me sense it support more platforms, might even get them on mobile platforms with OpenGL ES.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Are you also using the beta version of the new flash that has video GPU acceleration ? I wonder if the two of them combined will result in some sort of crash... by the way, how long will it still take for Adobe to launch the final version ? they say first half of 2010 but with all the HTML5 video fanfare going on, they might as well deliver something rock stable and fast since they are certainly taking the time to build it.[/citation]

No im not using the beta build of flash 10.1 with gpu acceleration, i tried it with and without and you get the same sort of performance for it but i did notice the videos are just as smooth when running D2D but i also noticed that on firefox 3.6 even with the beta build of flash 10.1 the video is still not as smooth as it should be in comparrison but i had to remove it as running it with D2D on 3.7 causes some video corruption when in full screen with HD videos on youtube but using regular 10 with 3.7 and D2D runs perfectly smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.