Firefox May Be Heading to PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Except for the fact that PS3 Slim doesn't support Linux any more, unless the community have cracked that already.

Firefox would be good though - the current webkit-based browser is OK, but its support for AJAX is lacking (try getting Facebook to work for example)

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I'm getting kind of frustrated with my recent xbox 360 purchase. I didn't realize that you have to pay for a dumbass xbox live account in order to do netflix streaming (which PS3 also offers for free). Between that, the bluray capability and news like this, I'm thinking of taking my xbox back to walmart and getting a PS3 instead.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"non-software development kit"??
"you can develop anything you want for the ps3! as long as its not software!!"

does this mean anyone will be able to make apps for the ps3 without linux? that would make sense as to why they ditched it.

also, they can keep the f'ing app STORE! just let us make apps and put them on their any way we want, you know... like a PC...

crazymech

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm suprised that there are 4 comments here, and none mention the hot girl o_O

When I saw it I immediatly thought "/b/ firefox meme, pic related"

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
"If Sony does launch some kind of Apps store on the PlayStation Network, the PlayStation 3 might actually get the upper hand in the console wars... a long deserved one."

You make me laugh. I don't know how anyone could say Sony is deserving of an upper hand. If Sony doesn't have the upper hand now, they can only blame themselves. That is the only thing they deserve.

Im curious about this new "subscription" that might be coming. I don't think they will make people pay for basic stuff such as online gaming, friends list, store, etc etc etc. But at the same time, I bet that they see Microsoft making money with Xbox Live and they want a piece of that pie.

It would be very smart (unfair) marketing for them to lower the price of the PS3 over the holidays and then enforce a subscription to the buyers. I'm not saying that's their plan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was either.

itrendslave

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]The presentation (PDF) also announced that Sony will release a non-software development kit in Q2 fiscal year 2010.[/citation]
I believe it's supposed to be "non-game software development kit".

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't mind a subscription price as long as it no more expensive then xbox live, and offered equal or better features, such as cross game chat, and better friends integration into games.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
QUOTE: I see the Firefox girl is sleeping around! She sleeps with Firefox... then with IE! What a skank!

^+1 Wtf is wrong with toms now?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]itrendslave[/nom]I believe it's supposed to be "non-game software development kit".[/citation]

I was wondering on how you would release a dev kit that would create content for the PS3 without using software.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
"There was also mention that Sony will introduce a subscription system to the PlayStation Network."

Does that mean PS3 will start charging like the xbox? Then all the fanboys won't have anythign to brag about anymore. That'd be tragic.

G

all current ps3 service remain free, some of new one could have subscription, like some tv channels and similliar.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Hillary I'm sure your the upmost example of impartialness. thats why you posted about a PS3 you don't own right?

No one can deny that Sony's firmware update program has been aggressive and brought a lot of new features and functionality to the PS3 since it was released.

But for most of you "impartial" non "fanboys" no matter what Sony does you'll figure out a way to whine about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.