Firmware bugging?

dorey

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hi, I asked this in peripherals a long time ago, but received no replies. Sorry if this is not allowed.

I am a bit paranoid about my PC's security, but I need to get it serviced. The keys on it are starting to die out, and Geek Squad has agreed to take a look at it. Well, I already have my drive encrypted with TrueCrypt, and everything in a volume file. But I was wondering, can my PC be bugged? I was told that people could have their firmware for their keyboard/mouse/webcam/etc replaced with a rouge copy. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if this is true or not. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Ijack

Distinguished
If your hard disk is encrypted, how is the techician going to do a good job on your PC. They will need your log-on or encryption key.

If you are paranoid enough anything is possible. Most people trust reputable companies. But if you are really paranoid, the only answer is to do the work yourself. Of course, if you are not an expert at this you probably end up with more security issues than if you let a professional do it.

dorey

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I just need a few keys replaced. They came off. It's not that I don't trust the company, I don't trust the employees.