First Gaming Laptop

Bauer

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
I`m from Canada and I`m looking to buy my first gaming laptop. looking to spend about $1000 CAN, from what I`ve seen laptops at that price usually have a gtx 1050. how well could i expect to run new games with that?
Any recommended gaming laptops for around that price?
Are used laptops a legitimate option?

Solution
Used laptop's would often mean they have had some bad run ins and they will almost always have an issue with their cooling solution(as dust, grime and hair follicles can and will clog up the cooling fins).

Yes you're right, a GTX1050 is what you'll see at that price point but for a little more you can get a unit with a GTX1060. Contrary to what you think, the GTX150 isn't a bad GPU to be had on a laptop with a 1080p display. You can game on latest titles, albeit with reduced details as time moves on.

I would suggest an EVGA SC series laptop only if you intend to hold onto your laptop for a long period and EVGA have been known to build some good quality hardware but your budget would not allow for it.

Lutfij

Splendid
Used laptop's would often mean they have had some bad run ins and they will almost always have an issue with their cooling solution(as dust, grime and hair follicles can and will clog up the cooling fins).

Yes you're right, a GTX1050 is what you'll see at that price point but for a little more you can get a unit with a GTX1060. Contrary to what you think, the GTX150 isn't a bad GPU to be had on a laptop with a 1080p display. You can game on latest titles, albeit with reduced details as time moves on.

I would suggest an EVGA SC series laptop only if you intend to hold onto your laptop for a long period and EVGA have been known to build some good quality hardware but your budget would not allow for it.

Solution

The Canadian Dollar is weaker than the US Dollar.

Based on a search at Amazon's Canadian website, the least expensive laptop with a GTX 1050 is the following Asus M580VD-EB54 VivoBook with a quad core i5-7300HQ selling for $1,285 CDN which converts to $1,014 USD.

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-M580VD-EB54-VivoBook-Multimedia-i5-7300HQ/dp/B072C7TNBZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502159903&sr=8-3&keywords=laptop+gtx+1050

See link below for GTX 1050 game benchmarks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html