First iPhone Virus Rick Rolls Your Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubitz_420

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
should've made it so when it sync'd back up with a mac it would've infected that too, just to show all those mac-zombies that believe their impervious to the real world what happens when all your tech equipment is made by the same company with the same code architecture runnin the show, a hole in one is a hole in all!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]core i7 ownage[/nom]Rickrolled by tomshardware I hate you guys, I hasn't seen a video of RR for years till now.[/citation]
[citation][nom]The_King[/nom]source code lol I've been rick rolled by TH, OMG[/citation]

The things I do to keep myself entertained on a Monday morning.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]lubitz_420[/nom]should've made it so when it sync'd back up with a mac it would've infected that too, just to show all those mac-zombies that believe their impervious to the real world what happens when all your tech equipment is made by the same company with the same code architecture runnin the show, a hole in one is a hole in all![/citation]

I don't know if that is a possible attack vector, but I'd be surprised...

Anyway, this isn't an "Apple" vulnerability. It only affects those who have
1) Jailbroken their iPhone to remove Apple's security provisions
2) Installed SSH to allow remote access
3) Failed to change the default passwords, against the advice of the jailbreaking community.

In other words, the people that want their iPhone to be more like Windows are installing their own security holes...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lubitz_420[/nom]should've made it so when it sync'd back up with a mac it would've infected that too, just to show all those mac-zombies that believe their impervious to the real world what happens when all your tech equipment is made by the same company with the same code architecture runnin the show, a hole in one is a hole in all![/citation]

This would be all well and good, however it infects only jail-broken phones and therefore is only an issue for people who have subverted all the securities put in place by Apple. Claiming that this is an OS X or Apple problem is ridiculous at best.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
as soon as one app enables the crippled iPhone to do something else than just make phone calls or run stupid AppStore apps it gets the blame... instead of the stupid user who neglected to change an elementary thing as a password... it's like leaving your wireless wide open and then complaining about your computer being hacked...
And give me a break about the Apple systems being so secure; the only way to make the iPhone more secure was to cripple it all around. Hell, if I unplug my broadband modem I am un-hackable, too!

"In other words, the people that want their iPhone to be more like Windows are installing their own security holes... "

see above; I will always prefer a fully functional system that I can secure and customize the way I want versus one that has been "proofed" for me by crippling manufacturer... All my phones have been unlocked and modded so far and never had an issue with them, I just enjoyed their full functionality.

G

I thought apple was immune to all viruses? Up yours apple! More users = more viruses so quit your BSing.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
This guy deserves a hero tag on Fark for this one... but they'll probably press charges against the guy. At least he found a nice and innocent way to let people know "hey, if you are smart enough to jailbreak your phone, why aren't you smart enough to change your password?"

Like he said - its only your bank data that might be at stake...

Status
Not open for further replies.