First PC build already taken over by virus

landon223

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
As the title suggests, my first PC build has already fallen victim to some sort of virus/trojan/malware. It's been a while since I've really had to watch what I do since I've been using Mac OS X.

My system wasn't even put together for a week before I realized what had happened. I've been having autorun.inf's in my usb's, 15-20 svchost.exe (iirc) tasks going on at once, some COM Surrogate task running, I've run into not being able to delete files to not being able to reset pc and wipe drive because I didn't have permission.

I've also formatted my usb's countless times on my Mac in hope that it would solve my issue so I can just use VirtualBox to use the media creation tool and reinstall windows but now my VirtualBox OS (on my MacBook Air) even shows the svchost.exe, COM surrogate, and several other task's running that are the same as on my actual PC.

I have no other ideas as to what I should do other than buying a new hdd/ssd along with new usb's. I will do that if I need to but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

Windows 10 Education 64bit on PC (drives have since been formatted)
Intel 535 series 240GB SSD affected
Seagate 1tb SSHD affected
2 other flash drives affected

The only thing I can think of which might have caused this was me, for some stupid reason, decided to fall for and install what I can only assume was some fake java application. Don't ask me why I did it because even I don't know.

Edit: Malwarebytes never detected anything which, of course, could be due to system being compromised but I felt like that needed to be mentioned.

Solution
Start over.

Focus on getting all of the drives cleaned/reformatted (as you seem to have already done).

Reinstall Windows 10 and get that all configured and running.

Then start adding in the other drives one by one.

Do not go online until your build is working as expected and you have your AV software installed.

After that start on any software updates but only do one at a time. Go slow and hold off on any third party software.
Start over.

Focus on getting all of the drives cleaned/reformatted (as you seem to have already done).

Reinstall Windows 10 and get that all configured and running.

Then start adding in the other drives one by one.

Do not go online until your build is working as expected and you have your AV software installed.

After that start on any software updates but only do one at a time. Go slow and hold off on any third party software.

Solution