First smartphone recommendations based on my preferences?

Tyler799

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Price: <= $600

I'm looking for a phone with the following features/characteristics (in no particular order):

1: Battery life. I need something that I don't need to charge often and will be reliable power-wise.

2: Durability. I don't need waterproofing/resistance, but I do need some level of general drop resistance and a screen that won't shatter on me. That means no screens that go to the edge either, if possible. However, I know that a case will obviously be mandatory regardless so that can make up for it a bit. Nothing that'll bend easily on me either.

3: Headphone jack. I want to listen to music with my earbuds I already own, as they're quite nice. Critical to me.

4: Removable battery. One day the battery will start to fail. I plan on replacing it when that time comes. This is a must-have for me.

5: Upgradable storage. (Ideally with 32GB or more to start). This will end up essentially being my music player. While I only have 17GB of music at the moment, I plan on getting more.

6: Unlocked. I want flexibility, and that'll help.

7: Privacy/security. Obviously this is something you throw out the window when you get any smartphone, but I'd like to keep it as much in mind as I can.

Things I don't really care about:

• Performance. I'm not gaming on this.
  • Screen resolution.
  • Slimness.
  • Looks. Don't care. It can be as ugly as they come.
  • Waterproofing/resistance.
  • Speaker quality. As long as it's not genuinely awful and can do calls alright I don't need perfect sound. That's what the earbuds are for.
  • Camera. If it has a decent one that's nice and practical, but it's not critical.
Thanks for any suggestions!

I tried looking around on Tom's guide's main site, but there's no way to filter/search by features or whatever, which makes it a bit tedious. Figured I'd ask in case anyone else has similar wants.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hinky8956 Cell Phone General Discussion 3
Notare Cell Phone General Discussion 1
D Cell Phone General Discussion 0
K Cell Phone General Discussion 1
M Cell Phone General Discussion 0
A Cell Phone General Discussion 1
G Cell Phone General Discussion 3
C Cell Phone General Discussion 2
R Cell Phone General Discussion 1
L Cell Phone General Discussion 4
G Cell Phone General Discussion 0