Fitness Bands Found to Be Ripe for Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
If you know how long a person sleeps, and eventually (with certain fitness bands) what their average sleep cycle is + know where they live, then you could plan a nighttime break in to coincide with when their sleep is deepest and reduce the risk of the house/apartment owner waking up....

YellowBee

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
i store ALL of my banking information and my social security and driver's licence numbers on my fitness band. don't you?
That’s not the point... It’s like saying your only care about “security” on the checkout page on a website when you buy stuff as that’s where the "sensitive" data is located. You are 4getting that wherever you are visiting (like when you read this post) you do a footprint that some can use to identify you and then do some serious profiling.
So being able to track your movement (even you don’t have your CC on your fit band) is great help as it would tell you when you are example out of your house just like safcmanfr is saying.
Let’s say you have a Nike fuel band, it can store up to 7 days of data. If someone is able to get that data themselves, they know where you move. They would also know where you sleep and for how long and when the easiest time would be for a break-in. Once at your home there probably are pictures, perhaps a home laptop(or some other device) and some bills with more information about you. Once that person get your computer(or other device) booted up, there is a s-itload of information about you.
All this happen because of one mistake, you didn’t secure your fitband. Still don’t think it’s important? ;)

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
this would require all of these bands to have a GPS with a breadcrumb trail. do they? i suppose if people are dumb enough to always have everything on and always paired and always connected to their facebook and twitter with hourly updates, then yeah some info could be gleaned from that. and maybe people who are THAT open need to be violated a bit :p

and i don't need to analyze reams of data from a fitness tracker to figure out that at 3am, if the lights are off at a random house, people are likely sleeping. and at 10am on a Tuesday, most homes are empty since people are at work.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
this would require all of these bands to have a GPS with a breadcrumb trail. do they? i suppose if people are dumb enough to always have everything on and always paired and always connected to their facebook and twitter with hourly updates, then yeah some info could be gleaned from that. and maybe people who are THAT open need to be violated a bit :p

and i don't need to analyze reams of data from a fitness tracker to figure out that at 3am, if the lights are off at a random house, people are likely sleeping. and at 10am on a Tuesday, most homes are empty since people are at work.

+1

A bunch of Alfred Hitchcock movie lovers here!
Really, planning a late night break-in or a home break and enter is kind of pushing the limits here. My fitband shows 5 miles walked however I could have walked 5 miles within my home alone - these things are not that smart to begin with. And as for security lock it or disable it. Next up would be somehow or other a bluetooth soundbar was used to gain entry into an online account!!! Come on people, lets think before we say or type something.

drb1981

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I'm not sure the devices will ever develop to the point of really allowing others to gain access to useful personal information. Maybe something could happen in competitive athletics. I can play lots of maybe games. Regardless, what concerns me is the cavalier attitude the companies showed with regard to possible security issues. We've seen plenty of examples in other technologies where this attitude has lead to unforeseen consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.