Fitness Tracker Do's and Don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technology is becoming a bigger part of our lives everyday as we continue to find new uses for it and adapt it to complement our lifestyles. In today's busy world, it can be hard to find the time to properly exercise and maintain our bodies, so the time we manage to put aside for it must be used efficiently. Fitness trackers can be very helpful in this, allowing you to track your activity level, your workouts, and your progress. Here are a few Do's and Don'ts to keep in mind when using your's:

Do's

• Read the manual! In order to use it effectively, you have to understand what your fitness tracker can do and track, and how you can use that information for yourself.

Make sure you know how waterproof it is. Some fitness trackers can be submerged in a few feet of water, while others can only handle a splash or two.

Make sure it’s calibrated. All trackers rely on you entering your correct height, weight, age, and gender to provide the most accurate measurements and fitness advice.

Wear it while going about your regular day. Allow it to collect data about your routine activity levels, and your usual workout activity. That way, you can go back to look at it and see what can be changed or improved.

Keep track of the data to help motivate yourself! Every gain, every improvement is a step towards healthier living. Keep pushing yourself to put up better results every day!

Don'ts

• Overspend. Fitness trackers range in price from $50 dongles to $400 GPS watches for serious athletes. Before buying one, think about what you want to accomplish. In most cases, you’ll be able to find one in the $100 range that will fit most, if not all your needs.

Buy one that you won’t wear. Fitness bands come in all shapes and sizes, so pick one that you’re most likely to wear all day—and all night.

Stick it in a drawer after a week. The whole point of these is to help change your habits for the better, and you won’t accomplish that if you don’t use it.

Don't become obsessed with the results. Understand your limits. Celebrate your victories and milestones, but don't be dismayed if you hit a wall. This is about keeping healthy and fit, and you don't need to be a world class athlete to do that!

Don't spam your friends and family! They don't need to hear about every mile you run through Facebook posts or tweets. You're doing this for yourself; when you finish that marathon, then you show off with the medal!

Have any more tips for using fitness trackers? Share them with the community!

sportsmc3

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Personally, I don't need a fitness tracker. I live in New England, where a good portion of my time spent getting exercise is indoors playing basketball or running on a treadmill, using a stair stepper, using an elliptical, etc. I can get most of the information I need right from an elliptical, for example. Heart rate, calories burned, time spent exercising can all be seen right on these machines. Many of the machines are very accurate now as well. Also, it's one less thing I need to worry about losing, because even though people may wear it 24/7, I definitely won't. Just my two cents.

sandysfaves

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
I'm thinking along the same line as sportsmc3 and I really didn't think these things would become as popular as they are. Won't be the first time I've been wrong about something though! I guess I didn't really think about them as motivational tools, rather as something to show how much I didn't do. I like the tips given so I may have to check some out as I do need some extra motivation and so these may help.

Like my aunt said about golf, 'it didn't look like fun but since everybody else was doing it and liked it, I thought I'd try it.' And she liked it

Emma-taylor

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

yeah I agree with Your words

Purch_

Commendable
May 25, 2016

ridhimasane

Great
May 22, 2018
these are some useful points shared in terms of do's and dont's regarding the fitness trackers that one should understand while going with the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.