Five Gaming Keyboards, Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Why bother with the G510? It's the same thing as the G15 but with no usb....

I have the G19 and will never look back, the thing is amazing.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]In the pics, it looks like the right-shift button is the smallest of the two. Not the left. ??[/citation]

Typo, fixed! Thanks for pointing that out!
-Devin

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
SteelSeries 6Gv2 - this would probably be the one for a gamer with kids to buy lol. i know my kids have killed 2 keyboards in a year

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]SteelSeries 6Gv2 - this would probably be the one for a gamer with kids to buy lol. i know my kids have killed 2 keyboards in a year[/citation]

No doubt about it. You could probably smash someone across the face with the 6Gv2, put it back on your desk, and game away. It's a shame that some of its other shortcomings ($$) hold it back.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I sometimes miss my old IBM "battle board" That thing was a tank, had the nice capacitive switched, and outlasted like 4-5 computers. I still cant believe I finally managed to kill the thing.

iolas

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
The key is grabbing the g15 v2 on sale...i snagged a dented box one for 40 bucks.
Keep your eye on slickdeals.net

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I like my g110 for the feel and look, but I have yet to find a use for the macro keys. Mostly, this was a luxury because I used to have a cheap dell keyboard that didn't feel as good and didn't have backlit keys. I wish I had got the g19 or g15 for the screen but this one was on sale.

fafkac

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I don't want to be rude, but writer doesn't know what is he writing about "While the company still offers membrane-based keyboards like the 7G and Shift" 7G is also mechanical keyboard, 6G is cheaper version of 7G
"While the BlackWidow from Razer has a click built into its mechanical switches, the 6Gv2 does not, which is hit or miss as far as performance goes." writer didn't do hes homework, most of people that own more than one mechanical keyboard say, that nontactile feedback is suited more for gaming that tactile like black willow had, 6G is using cherry black switches, black willow is using blue cherry switches
most used keyboard mechanisms
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
I got SteelSeries 6G v2 and its worth the many, no questions there, i wouldn't buy membrane keyboard, because its not worth it.

daimeionb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
What about the Merc or Zboard keyboards? Those are true gaming keyboards in my opinion. They have a plethora of dedicated gaming buttons, and the zboard has swappable keysets. They put all the others, except maybe the logitech, to shame when it comes to improving your game.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
More keys.

Most games these days allow you to Macro pretty much any key on your keyboard, so any keyboard can be a gaming keyboard. For me, more keys is at the top of the list, which means the 18-button G15 or G510 of these reviewed, none of the others need apply. The G15 gen 2 will not do.

Each to his/her own though, something I understand thoroughly and something that was said repeatedly in this article. Apparently some people skipped over the parts that said the opinions were often just opinions of the testers, nothing more.

;)

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]fafkac[/nom]I don't want to be rude, but writer doesn't know what is he writing about "While the company still offers membrane-based keyboards like the 7G and Shift" 7G is also mechanical keyboard, 6G is cheaper version of 7G"While the BlackWidow from Razer has a click built into its mechanical switches, the 6Gv2 does not, which is hit or miss as far as performance goes." writer didn't do hes homework, most of people that own more than one mechanical keyboard say, that nontactile feedback is suited more for gaming that tactile like black willow had, 6G is using cherry black switches, black willow is using blue cherry switchesmost used keyboard mechanismshttp://www.overclock.net/keyboards [...] guide.htmlI got SteelSeries 6G v2 and its worth the many, no questions there, i wouldn't buy membrane keyboard, because its not worth it.[/citation]

I'll give you the bit on the 7G...but how can you say "most gamers" prefer anything? What data is such a statement even based on?

-Devin

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I am dissapointed in this article, where is Saitek? I have owned three Cyborg models and I love them. I prefer the Cyborg 2 far above the Logitech board. What gives?

halophoenix

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Frankly, I liked the Gigabyte much more than the reviewer did - the software is a little buggy, but all in all the rest of the features are implemented very well. If anything, the lighting on the Gigabyte is very dim - I wonder if it was tested in a very dark room! In a room with any lighting at all, the backlights are hardly noticeable.

The black version has been out for a while, and typing on it is smooth and silky. I like it!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I goofed a bit in my comment, I have owned three Saitek keyboards, but only the current one is a Cyborg, the other two were the eclipse one and two. I still fail to see how such an important peripheral maker like this is omitted.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Major7up[/nom]I goofed a bit in my comment, I have owned three Saitek keyboards, but only the current one is a Cyborg, the other two were the eclipse one and two. I still fail to see how such an important peripheral maker like this is omitted.[/citation]

Saitek hasn't come out with a new keyboard in a while, and we were trying to include newer products.

-Devin

Status
Not open for further replies.