Flash Heads into a New Frontier: 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Adobe needs to address the following first before adding new stuffs, like 3D.

1) finish 64-bit version
2) stability & security issues
3) not using its download manager or provide easy way to download th whole package
4) not select any addon toolbar/searchbar by default

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Not that a flash player compares to this but I recently updated my rig with Nvidia 3D vision device and playing the freebie game Avatar it is really something else. I had originally dismissed Avatar since most made for movie games truly suk but I am really digging this one in full 3D immersion Also Augmented Reality is an extremely useful tool. I would love to get into that but the current tools available are a huge pain as they involve having to compile your own programs meaning a huge skill set from just creating content alone. Maybe this will kick start that in the right direction.

sanphire

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
If you want 3D Flash - check out the open source project Sandy 3D - which allows for 3D rendering of scene graphs in any version of Flash from 8 to CS5. Even works on mobile devices... unless it's apple....

G

why the heck do i get an HP pop up everytime i switch pages at Toms Hardware. Its annoying as hell Tom.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I'm so tired of this 3-D craze.[/citation]

This isn't 3D vision, this is 3D rendering.

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for Shockwave and Director. The hardware 3D capabilities were the only thing keeping it going, now Flash can do it too.

Shame, but then I've not used Director in a long time.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
You can't call Flash laggy and then talk about everything moving towards HTML5. Have you seen performance differences with vector, 2d, and 3d when it comes to SVG/Canvas vs Flash? Flash DESTROYS HTML5 when it comes to that sort of thing. 5FPS vs 200FPS. Its like running a video game without a 3d card with HTML5 right now.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I wish Flash would focus on 3D z-depth tools (where you can place your objects on different planes within a virtual 3D space) rather than on 3D rendering.

Currently with flash you can create "depth" by choosing which layer is over the other. With a tool like Toon Boom animate, you can place objects at different depths without worrying about where the layer is. This permits you to weave your camera through a 3D virtual space rather than having to manually adjust the speed at which different objects move.

I think 3D tools like that might add a bit of a kick to flash gaming that would keep users playing. As to video streaming, didn't Google do a pretty good job explaining why HTML 5 isn't ready to replace flash for them yet?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]You can't call Flash laggy and then talk about everything moving towards HTML5. Have you seen performance differences with vector, 2d, and 3d when it comes to SVG/Canvas vs Flash? Flash DESTROYS HTML5 when it comes to that sort of thing. 5FPS vs 200FPS. Its like running a video game without a 3d card with HTML5 right now.[/citation]
Try HTML5 in the IE9 platform preview. WAY faster with the GPU acceleration it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.