Flat screen TV for a classroom with $800 budget.....recommendations?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hello-

I've been tasked with purchasing a flat screen TV that is going to be used in a classroom. It is going to be mounted on a wall so that kids can see and hear on the TV what the teacher has on her laptop. I'll be running a long HDMI cable from the teacher's laptop to the TV. Some of the students will be viewing the TV off-angle, so being able to see the TV from the side is very important. The kid farthest from the TV will probably be around 20 feet away.

I have a $800 budget, including a wall mount, taxes, and shipping to the school. I don't need cutting edge technology, just good quality picture, decent sound, and good off-angle viewing for the kids that will be closer to the TV but slightly to the side.

What do you recommend for a TV?

Thanks!

Solution
LG is good brand, I have one of their old Plasma TVs. They just don't advertise as much as Samsung does, which gives the impression that their new or small. When in reality they are the #2 TV brand behind Samsung in terms of sales.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

OK,, I'll take a drive over there and check out what they have. I was a little concerned about Vizio as Consumer Reports gave them low reliability ratings.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
the other brands (except Sony, they continue to charge premium despite their stuff not being the best anymore) shouldn't be to much more expensive than Vizio. There is usually an open box area there to, so check that out too might knock a bit more off the price that way.

The wall mounts I've seen at Best Buy all appear to be over priced compared to what you can find on Amazon though.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Thanks!

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Went to the local Best Buy today and chatted with the Magnolia Home Theater guy. He showed me some Vizios but didn't like the build quality. He recommended:

LG 6035 60" 4K TV for $700 -OR-
LG 6150 55" 4K TV for $600
plus free shipping to the school.

I looked at the TVs and they looked really nice with good off angle viewing. Anyone have any thoughts?

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
LG is good brand, I have one of their old Plasma TVs. They just don't advertise as much as Samsung does, which gives the impression that their new or small. When in reality they are the #2 TV brand behind Samsung in terms of sales.

Solution